1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006

spd cleat compatibility

Hi guys-

Are there any other pedals I can use with spd cleats, besides Shimano pedals?

(buying new bike, don't want to buy another pair of shoes and don't want to switch cleats every time I switch bikes)

thanks-
    greg

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    there are several of them.... mainly SPD are not compatible with crank brothers, look, time or speedplay pedals..... I might forget others....but most other pedals are SPD compatible (Ritchey, Xpedo, etc)

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Just get some spd's fitted to your new bike so you have the same pedals.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Just get some spd's fitted to your new bike so you have the same pedals.
    that's my worst case scenario. I have m-540s on my other bike, but I'm looking for something lighter for the new bike. So far, it looks like Ritchey pro v4 (275 grams= 75 grams lighter than the 540's for only about $15 more)

mtbr member
    wellgo, xpedo, ritchey, and exustar all make spd pedals. some wellgos though use a different style of spd cleat that wont fit other brands of pedals.

Double-metric mtb man
    Just as a side note and not to bash anyone...I think you are referring more to pedal compatability with Shimano cleats than "SPD" cleats. Pretty much all the shoe and cleat makers are using the Shimano Pedaling Dynamic (SPD) bolt pattern and can be called "SPD compatible" or "SPD cleats".

In terms of compatability with Shimano cleats, I think folks have hit most of them I know of: Wellgo (some), ritchey, Xpedo and such. Crank Brothers, Speedplay and such use their own cleats and are not compatable with Shimano cleats.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Just as a side note and not to bash anyone...I think you are referring more to pedal compatability with Shimano cleats than "SPD" cleats.
    that's it exactly. I ended up going with some exustars, btw.