1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Spare Parts

mtbr member

Spare Parts

I'm going to be spending my summer about 40-50 miles away from the nearest bike shop, and I intend to be riding my bike. I'm thinking about putting together a box of spare parts for my bike, but I really have no idea what to put in it, as I havn't broken anything yet so I don't know what typically breaks. So far I've got a couple of spare inner tubes on the list but thats about it. The bike has about 500 miles on it and I'm halfway expecting something to break the moment I get there, because thats how things go

Any suggestions?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiffle
    I'm going to be spending my summer about 40-50 miles away from the nearest bike shop, and I intend to be riding my bike. I'm thinking about putting together a box of spare parts for my bike, but I really have no idea what to put in it, as I havn't broken anything yet so I don't know what typically breaks. So far I've got a couple of spare inner tubes on the list but thats about it. The bike has about 500 miles on it and I'm halfway expecting something to break the moment I get there, because thats how things go

Any suggestions?
    chain
    brake pads
    tires
    cables brake and dérailleur
    cable housing brake and dérailleur
    dérailleur hanger
    bearings for your hubs, headset, BB, suspension pivots
    cassette
    chain rings
    spokes & nipples

Those are the items that are most likely to wear out or break. I don't think you will actually need all that stuff. You may not need any of it. Personally I would not plan on breaking stuff and just deal with it when and if something does break. Tubes can be had at any walmart, Kmart, Toys are us. Any bike part can be bought on line and sent 2nd day air.
    Good Luck and Have Fun

Crashin' since the 60's

Some Ideas

What breaks depends upon the conditions and type of riding you do. For example, I ride single track in North New Jersey; I go through at least 1 derailler and 2 hangers each year. it also depends upon your bike repair skills; having replacement spokes does you no good if you don't know how to remove a tire.
    And don't forget any specialized tools that may be needed to replace the parts you collect.

Having said all that here's MY list of spare parts in order of importance:

Derailliur hangers
    Real Derailliur
    Replacement wheel spokes
    Chain
    Tires

And Tools:

Air pump
    Allen wrenches
    spoke wrench
    chain tool

Don't forget chain lube
    Flick Lives!

mtbr member
    It'll be mostly cross country type stuff in mountains of NE New Mexico, hopefully not too crazy for a flatlander like me. I'm still learning the maintenance end of things, but that kind of thing is rather second nature so I learn fairly quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! The sad part is that the nearest walmart is either 60 miles away in another state or 50 miles away over a couple of mountain passes. I'll definitly be bringing a collection of spare tubes.

pronounced may-duh
    In the desert with cactus and thorns, I've heard that tubes with the slime inside are an absolute must.

I assumed you had the tools and knew how to use them. If not you may spend enough money on tools and parts that you could just buy a back up bike. Other than tubes and lube, I'd consider just dealing with each problem as it arises and buying all my tools and parts on line. That way you don't buy a whole bunch of stuff you may never need.