1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

space in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown

Hi. I'm prepping for my new fork install. Done many on BMX, but never on mtb & never on a front shock fork. Just out of curiosity of wanting to see if I have every headset piece, I slipped the crown race onto the steerer tube, without any force. Crown race is just laying there. I didn't use a PVC pipe to bang it down yet. There's about 1/4 to 5/16 of space in between the bottom of the crown race & the top of the fork crown. If I push it down with hand strength, it'll probably only go down another millimeter. Am I to believe that banging it down with a PVC pipe will set it onto the fork crown completely? I'm afraid of chewing away the steerer tube. (first pic is bottom cup, cartridge bearing & crown race with seal, upside down.) Thanks

specs:
    headtube 1.5
    Fox front fork steerer tube 1-1/8 to 1.5 tapered
    Cane Creek headset 1-1/8 to 1.5 tapered
    space in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown-img_1118_snipped_mtbr.jpgspace in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown-img_1120_snipped_mtbr.jpgspace in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown-img_1123_snipped_mtbr.jpgspace in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown-img_1124_snipped_mtbr.jpg

T.W.O.
    It needs to be flushed.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Crown races are interference fits. Needs to be driven into place. That is why crown setting tools exist.
    And grease it first.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It needs to be flush with the crown. I've seen it done and even mechanics use a pipe to seat this onto the steere tube. You won't chew the steerer tube away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd see if the blue seal comes off easily before seating.
    Crown race seating - home made

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It needs to be flushed.
    Yes thanks, i understand that. Another thing is i've seen used shock forks on eBay that don't appear to have any scratches just above the fork crown, which made me go hmm. I thought at the most, there'd be 1/8" of space or less, before i bang down on it

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks all & thanks shiggy on the grease tip

T.W.O.

space in between bottom of crown race & top of fork crown

Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    Yes thanks, i understand that. Another thing is i've seen used shock forks on eBay that don't appear to have any scratches just above the fork crown, which made me go hmm. I thought at the most, there'd be 1/8" of space or less, before i bang down on it
    Use the proper tools to install an remove the crown race. I don't have any marks on my forks either, but if I do who cares, it's ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Use the proper tools to install an remove the crown race. I don't have any marks on my forks either, but if I do who cares, it's ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    FWIW, I've used the pipe/hammer/screwdriver installation method hundreds of times without a single issue.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    FWIW, I've used the pipe/hammer/screwdriver installation method hundreds of times without a single issue.
    Yeah, I did that a few times when I started out, it was a peta to find the right size pipe. Then I bought the cheapo when I started doing more swapping. Now I'm on the park tool set, still don't do hundreds of times, may be 12-20 times a year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    also, in case of resellability reasons... but i will go ahead & just bang it as prescribed