1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

sound coming out of the BB....

Ok, after a few hard rides, my bike started making a sound again... it went away after the first tune up.

basically, the sound is a "clank" that happens when, standing on the pedals, if I put the left pedal down, then apply pressure to it, then if I switch back to the right, the right one does it. i imagine its a loose BB? I can picture the thing swiveling of sorts every time pressure is applied to either side... could that be in?

Thanks!
    SOK

PS: is this normal stuff that happens to entry bikes? i have a 4300.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You can check for a loose BB by holding both arms and moving them towards and away from each other. If there is any play at all, it needs to be tightened. I think the 4300 has square taper BB so make sure you check that the arms are bolted on tight as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    sounds like you need a new BB or there was an install failure. How old is the bike/miles?

mtbr member
    got it back in June... 450ish miles.

No play on the arms...