1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Sorting through the front fork/Shock jive

So I am thinking of picking up a hardtail on Friday, (Trek 6000) and I have been sorting through the specs/stats/opinions/facts/flukes and what not.

The bike I am looking at getting has the Rock Shox Dart 3 on the front. I don't know anything about the fork and where it stands amongst the other lines in the Rock Shox foray. Any info would be help as I have searched and haven't really found any valuable info.

This is my first post and look forward to the knowledge I can get in here. I'm pretty dang excited to pick up my bike on Friday and hit the trails this weekend.

Oh...uses are for XC, cruising around town (to save gas), and a little all mountain riding. I live next to a ski resort that has some great trails. Mainly it's a bike to get into and then when I can afford it I'll upgrade to a FS.

mtbr member
    You may want to practice searching some more. Google searching turned up these:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/2...4_1550crx.aspx

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/crosscountry/dart/#tab1

The above should get you started.

spec4life???..smh...
    the dart 3 is one of the lower end rock shox models but does have good travel as well as lockout and for the riding you described such as xc and a little am it should be awesome.