1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Religion = Non-thinking

someone Link me to a good bike grease

As i start to work on my bike with my new stand, i'll need some grease!

What do u guys suggest and please provide a link. How fast do u guys go by your tubs of grease and how much and where do u use it on a bike?

as far as i know, every screw in the bike need some grease, where else?

have carbon seatpost, so no grease btwn seatpost&seat tube
    RH SL Pro

Can't feel my legs
    Ask Highdell

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    that mid size tube of blue grease (park?) works well...and will last a loooong time (you don't need to use gobs)...

but i gotta tell ya...you do not grease every screw on your bike.....like the screws holding your calipers to your bike for one.....that requires blu loctite.

and yes...no grease on carpet fiber.....i do however like to grease steerer tube and stem...handlebar and stem clamp.....seat rails......square taper BB....BB threads (unless you're using WI Icups)....crank arm bolts (sometimes....depends on the cranks)...pedal spindles.....and sometimes where the QR clamps....

wheel bearings depend on the wheel itself...some require loctite...some grease for pressed sealed bearings....

as for FS rigs and all the pivot points....check with your manufacturer....

PS - be careful with mating aluminum and ti parts...that requires a special anti seize lube.....and don't forget slick honey for fork stanchions.....red grease for some bearings.....and phils tenacious for winter SS riding (chain..and many other uses)....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    If you're lightly greasing threads for installation - like for bottom brackets, cranks, pedals, etc, Park Tool Poly Lube 1000 is awesome: http://www.parktool.com/products/det...t=8&item=PPL-1. I bought a tube of it ... two years ago? I've used maybe a third of it through a bike build, disassembly and reinstall of multiple parts, and let a friend borrow it for a bit.

For my chain I use Dumonde Tech green (BCL-Original). For three bikes I go through about one large tube/yr http://www.dumondetech.com/ProductBicycle.html
    :wq

mtbr member
    It takes a long time to use a tub of grease. You can probably get away with a normal sizes tube of Tri-Flow Clear Grease, Phil Wood or my new personal favorite Tri-Flow Red Grease http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri...ed_Grease.html or any quality water resistant grease...those just happen to be bike specific. It will take you a long time to go through even a small tube, unless you plan on cranking some bikes out.

Bottom Bracket Grease.
    headset Cups Grease.
    Depending on the headset grease the bearings.
    Grease the shaft on all hollowtech style cranks.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    Ask Highdell

whatchu talkin' 'bout
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm cheap, I use regular 'ole white grease on most bolts, and blue loctite on the ones that need to stay put.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I'm cheap, I use regular 'ole white grease on most bolts, and blue loctite on the ones that need to stay put.

Same here , Lubriplate 105 and Locktite 242 .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I even used food grade grease on a few parts, we had a giant tube of it already loaded into a gun at work. If it's good enough for a fire truck, it'll work on a bike, right?

bi-winning
    I bought some Park PolyLube 1000. I guess it's expensive, but for the amount you actually go through to maintain a couple bicycles, the cost is pretty insignificant. My biggest use is packing my Shimano hubs.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Picture Unrelated
    Park Polylube, slick honey, and Dumonde here too.

For the carbon, you should invest in some carbon lubricating compound. This Finish Line one is the only one I can think of right now http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm there's a few others. It keeps the carbon from welding to the frame, is inert to the carbon so it doesn't break it down, and contains a "grit" that helps keep carbon pieces from slipping.

Religion = Non-thinking
    whats the slick honey on the fork stancions for?

My lbs recommended Phil Wood grease: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e.aspx?sc=FRGL

how is that compared to the Park Tools grease?
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    ^I've never heard of it and for good reason upon looking it up it is a grease for paint ball guns. I use tri-flow on my fork stanchions.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    ^I've never heard of it and for good reason upon looking it up it is a grease for paint ball guns.
    You are freak'n hilarious. Please don't ever stop posting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    You are freak'n hilarious. Please don't ever stop posting!
    Am I wrong? Says on there official website "Slick Honey Grease set the standard in Paintball marker lubrication,"

http://www.slickhoneyusa.com/

Now if everyone who wrote Slick Honey, wrote Slick Honey Bike Grease there would be no issues. But Slick Honey Grease is for paint ball guns.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    ^I've never heard of it and for good reason upon looking it up it is a grease for paint ball guns. I use tri-flow on my fork stanchions.

Awesome !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Awesome !!!
    Refer to my whole post, be specific...this is the beginner section the next thing you no some guy is buying paint ball gun grease, not bike.

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Park Polylube, slick honey, and Dumonde here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    PS - be careful with mating aluminum and ti parts...that requires a special anti seize lube.....and don't forget slick honey for fork stanchions.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

~Disc~Golf~
    Am I wrong? Says on there official website "Slick Honey Grease set the standard in Paintball marker lubrication,"

http://www.slickhoneyusa.com/

Now if everyone who wrote Slick Honey, wrote Slick Honey Bike Grease there would be no issues. But Slick Honey Grease is for paint ball guns.
    and yo-yos
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickoleum - manufacture of Buzzys Slick Honey bike grease
    Our product has been implemented into several different industries or applications. Here are some applications that people have found and used our product on. Paintball guns, Optical slide mechanisms, high end YO-YOs. The best one; A drag racing professional had a problem with the push rods gauling due to the high spring pressures and lack of lubrication. The only cure this one professional racer found is Slickoleum. And unfortunate for us, this racer wanted to keep his secret all to him self.

AZ
    banned
    Refer to my whole post, be specific...this is the beginner section the next thing you no some guy is buying paint ball gun grease, not bike.

And ? Just because you never heard of it means that we cant use it on our bikes ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    And ? Just because you never heard of it means that we cant use it on our bikes ?
    You could rub jelly beans all over your fork stanchions for all I care. You seem to have a double standard, preaching about how people need to be accurate when posting in the beginner section. I find a error and the first thing you do it try to turn it around on me like its my fault I dont know that the same company that makes a very specific grease called Slick Honey which is used for paint ball guns also makes a bike specific grease that it labeled as such. So where are your remarks to the 2 people who did not specify that he should get Slick Honey Bicycle Grease and not the normal Slick Honey that is not made for bikes?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    You could rub jelly beans all over your fork stanchions for all I care. You seem to have a double standard, preaching about how people need to be accurate when posting in the beginner section. I find a error and the first thing you do it try to turn it around on me like its my fault I dont know that the same company that makes a very specific grease called Slick Honey which is used for paint ball guns also makes a bike specific grease that it labeled as such. So where are your remarks to the 2 people who did not specify that he should get Slick Honey Bicycle Grease and not the normal Slick Honey that is not made for bikes?

I hope you keep posting .

~Disc~Golf~
    'bike specific'

~Disc~Golf~
    Maybe I should use this on my disc brakes...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Maybe I should use this on my disc brakes...

Well no duh , it says for disc brakes .

AZ
    banned
    this stuff works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails someone Link me to a good bike grease-13547.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast