1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Somebody Stole my Bike !!!

Well not really...I'm just trying to get your attention.
    But bike thief does happen...and when it does how do you identify your stolen bike?
    I use to engrave my initials under my BB but now I engrave my initials inside my seat tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you might get a lot of hate from your false title.

that said, i can recognize my bike because its not very common. i scratched it up from falling. there are some scratches that would help me identify it if it were ever stolen. other than that, the serial number.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    No soup for you... 1 year.

Just Ride
    Jun 2008
    I just take notice of the scratches and markings on the frame/components from when I've crashed.

Dirt Deviant
    I write my name and address on a piece of good paper with a permanent pen, and stuff it inside a thin sandwich bag and put that inside of my stem, under the front plate, behind the handlebars. Most stems have a hollowed out area where excess material is machined away. Makes a good stash spot. I think I may have stuffed a similar package down the seat tube as well. Don't remember though.....LOL
    It also doesn't hurt if you custom build all your bikes as I do. Ground up from a frame. I can name every single part on my bike even if I didn't look at it for several months.......which has never happened.....= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    scratches and part id wont hold a candle when you have to call the cops.. the paper bits in the bike components definitely will though! etching your name inside the tubes is a good one too..

mtbr member
    i just dont leave it anywhere to be stolen....if they can get in garage without me earing them....they deserve it, not that im not gonna go lookin for them....naturally lol
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't think anybody else is rolling on a '99 Spec FSR anymore besides me... so, I guess I just know the bike. But like a previous poster said, if they can figure out a way to get into my garage, I suppose they deserve it... but I pray for their lives if I catch them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Funny story happened to me recently regarding bike theft. I had literally JUST bought my brand new bike. Had it for 5 days, went out to the trails once in that period, I was a brand new rider so naturally I loved the bike. Had it locked up and all, but someone stole it. You could imagine how crushed I was considering I only owned the bike for 5 days (Not to mention I was gonna be paying off something I didnt own anymore!) Anyways, this criminal mastermind puts my bike up on Craigslist in the same town he stole it from 2 DAYS after he nabbed it. It didn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. Called the cops, they go to his place, he gets arrested, I get my bike back.

don't thread on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamer
    Well not really...I'm just trying to get your attention.
    But bike thief does happen...and when it does how do you identify your stolen bike?
    I use to engrave my initials under my BB but now I engrave my initials inside my seat tube.
    Somebody wasted my time....
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cioni2k
    Funny story happened to me recently regarding bike theft. I had literally JUST bought my brand new bike. Had it for 5 days, went out to the trails once in that period, I was a brand new rider so naturally I loved the bike. Had it locked up and all, but someone stole it. You could imagine how crushed I was considering I only owned the bike for 5 days (Not to mention I was gonna be paying off something I didnt own anymore!) Anyways, this criminal mastermind puts my bike up on Craigslist in the same town he stole it from 2 DAYS after he nabbed it. It didn't take a genius to put 2 and 2 together. Called the cops, they go to his place, he gets arrested, I get my bike back.
    Great story and a very stupid thief.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I just take a photo of the whole bike and another one of the serial number stamped into the frame.
    [SIZE=1]"The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."[/SIZE]