1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Some troubleshooting with new tyres

Did my first solo tyre change today, and I'm absurdly proud of myself. Swapped out a pair of skinny-ish World Randonneurs on my 29er for a nice set of Big Apples.

I've gone for a good ride and everything seems to be working, but a couple of quality control questions:

1. When I give the wheels a spin they have a very slight wobble - front and back. Everything's lined up straight when stationary. Is that an alignment issue, or am I just seeing the uneven surface of the tyres, which were creased in sections from shipping? It's a cassette singlespeed setup with discs, so there's not much to mess up...

2. According to Schwalbe's guidelines, my rims should be okay to pump Big Apples up to 70psi, but I get them to just 30psi and they're rock solid and look set to burst. They're a bit squishy at that pressure, but nowhere near riding on the rims. Should I just jack them up to the listed pressure?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Picture Unrelated
    Sometimes Schwalbe tires don't seat into the bead properly. Inspect the bead along the tires and make sure it's consistently in there. You may need to deflate and man handle it or sometimes you can pump them up very high and get them to seat themselves. Of course, you risk blowing them off the rim if you exceed the manufacturer's pressure so be careful if you try that.

You should be able to pump your tires to 70psi, they're going to be much harder than they are now. The pressure you use them at should be between the min and max pressure; what exact pressure use them at depends on you and what you're using the tires for.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. I've gone round and everything looks settled in, and I've been for a long ride with no pinches, so I think that's okay.

I guess the question about pressure is do balloon tyres like Big Apples tend to feel inflated before they really are?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    Thanks. I've gone round and everything looks settled in, and I've been for a long ride with no pinches, so I think that's okay.

I guess the question about pressure is do balloon tyres like Big Apples tend to feel inflated before they really are?
    Just taking a casual look on Schwalbe's website shows that the Big Apple has some significant puncture resistance which almost always means thicker (and therefore stiffer) casings. So in general, "balloon tires" will not feel over inflated at a given pressure, but any tire with thick casing, stiff sidewalls, and/or puncture resistance built in will feel stiffer for a given pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Rim specifications may affect your maximum pressure. You can blow a tire off a rim with pressure beyond what the bead lip will hold.
    For the wobble-- mark it with soap or tape deflate the tire and try to straighten it at that point. You can also demount it and rotate it a little and see if it is still in the same spot on the tire.

mtbr member
    Agree w/ everyone above. I have found that a very slight deviation in how the bead seated up (as you look at the little stripe or ridge molded into the side of the tire close to and concentric with the rim) can cause what looks like a good size wobble as you look down on the spinning tread. Throw the wheel in a truing stand and you find the rim was fine all along. I like a little soapy water on the beads (standard practice for Stan's tubeless anyway), and wide rims--both seem to increase the chance to tire will seat more perfectly symmetrically.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Think I've found the source of the pressure issue: I'm running 2.35 tyres on 17mm rims.

What I've read suggests that won't be a huge problem, but are there any dangers I should watch out for?

Picture Unrelated
    Think I've found the source of the pressure issue: I'm running 2.35 tyres on 17mm rims.

What I've read suggests that won't be a huge problem, but are there any dangers I should watch out for?
    I'm not sure what rim size has to do with pumping up your tires but no, there are no dangers. You might feel the tires get a little squirmy at low pressures, but I don't tend to think you need low pressures on the road.

Fat-tired Roadie
    On my road bikes, I like to ride the lowest pressure that doesn't squirm, wallow or pinch flat. For me, this has typically been defined by squirming for bikes I don't strap a load onto.

The biggest tires I've used this way are 28 mm. So YMMV.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I'm not sure what rim size has to do with pumping up your tires but no, there are no dangers.
    Won't squeezing them onto narrow rims reduce the volume available, meaning they'll pressurise faster?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yes.

So what?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Picture Unrelated
    Won't squeezing them onto narrow rims reduce the volume available, meaning they'll pressurise faster?
    The tire is a set volume. No matter what you attach it to, it will have the same capacity. It may be more or less stable based on the rim dimensions, but the volume change is only based on the volume the rim can hold and that doesn't have anything to do with the way a tire feels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    The tire is a set volume. No matter what you attach it to, it will have the same capacity.
    Ah, right. Then I might risk a tube and pump it up nice and high to see what happens!