1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

some rear derailleur adjustment problem ....

hey guys,

so i am new to fixing my bike and i thought i ought to try myself. i followed this video to try to re-align the derailleur. (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGBajG4TPc). (long story short, i bought a used bike that was shipped over in parts, i managed to put everything together, but not everything is working in its rightly fashion..)

okay back to derailleur. as I released the tension, the chain dropped down to the smallest sprocket which is 'right' according to the video. i then played around with the shifter for a bit now i found out that i can no longer re-screw the cable anymore! it is a bit shorter! and i can't pull it over to put the screw on.

do u guys know what i mean? i dunno what to do now.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pull on the cable and shift the shifter in the direction that lengthens the cable.

Then, start at the beginning with Park Tool's rear derailleur adjustment instructions.

don't thread on me
    What's the brand and model of the D-Rail?
    sign here ________________________

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sram x9

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think you mean that the cable seems now to be too short to connect to the deraileur body. You need to do the following things:
    - click (or turn etc) the shifter as if you were changing onto the smallest sprocket (like for going down hill). You may need to pull on the loose end of the cable as you do this. It should certainly get longer as you do this (or shorter if you go the wrong way).
    - the second thing might not be so obvious... check that nothing odd has happened to the route that the cable follows between the shifter and the deraileur. For instance, has a bit of the outer tubing come away from the position/socket on the frame which it normally fits into? Does it now travel over something that it didn't originally? This would make the route that the cable is following slightly longer than it was before (so less of it appears at the deraileur end of its route).
    - check if something odd has happened at the shifter end of the cable - for instance is it no longer in the correct position in the shifter? Has it somehow become pulled through the shifter (I haven't looked at a picture of this shifter by the way, this is just general advice)

It is possible - although pretty unlikely - that the cable wasn't long enough in the first place. This would have meant that you wouldn't have been able to come anywhere near selecting the smallest sprocket. If you could do this - even inaccurately - then reject this possibility.

If all else fails, give us a picture of the problem, perhaps including pictures of the cable routing and what it looks like at the shifters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thx guys, i tried releasing the tension using the shifter and pulling the cable the same time. that problem has been solved.

Parrotnot, i am not quite following what you said about the rest, how the cable might not have been in its 'normal' position. i am a noob to bike mechs so i am not quite sure. i 'll take some pictures and u guys can take a look.

here is another problem: i am not sure if it is the front derailleur's fault or the rear's. if i try back pedaling, the chain would fall off from the original chain ring/sprocket. what is the cause of that?? let me try to get some pictures or video...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by evil monkey
    here is another problem: i am not sure if it is the front derailleur's fault or the rear's. if i try back pedaling, the chain would fall off from the original chain ring/sprocket. what is the cause of that?? let me try to get some pictures or video...
    Possible causes:
    Poor adjustment of the rear derailleur (try to change the cable tension a bit, so that the upper pulley of RD be right in front of appropriate cog).
    Stuck or very dirty pulleys of the RD.
    Bent or worn out teeth of the chain ring (or the chain ring itself bent).