1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Some help with a fork upgrade please!!!

Hello all

Ive ridden bike all my life but mostly just recreationaly and i am not getting more in depth into the sport and would like to upgrade the fork on my bike to make it a little more robust. the bike is a GT Transeo 3.0 (2009) and it has tektro aquilo mechanical disc brakes. i was hoping to put on a rockshox recon 351 coil u turn fork on it but was unsure of the compatibility of the frame with the fork and the fork with the brakes! any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

local jackass
    it will work as long but if the budget allows i would go with a air shock
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    first thanks for the really fast reply and also i am open to recommendations but i am (unfortunately) on a fairly tight budget (300ish max) and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Check nashbar, pricepoint, blue sky cycling, wheel world, cambria bikes, etc frequently. Oftentimes they have previous year air shock models for cheap.

local jackass
    Marzocchi for $300

I personally have a rockshox recon and love it but they sell for around $450
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    Down East Cyclists

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your bike is listed on Bikepedia with a 50mm fork. You're not going to be able to find any new forks with a similar travel, and going to a significantly longer travel fork will mess up the handling, probably void your warranty, and may cause you to break the frame (longer lever.)

How big a tire can you fit on that bike? What are you running now? The most difference in what a bike is capable of doing is made by tire selection, and if you can't run good mountain bike tires on the bike, trying to make it more trailworthy is going to give you nothing but frustration.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    If you can, try and get a used Pike, which will fit your budget.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I upgraded my Dart 1 to a Tora SL XC Air. I definetly can feel a difference. With the lockout, it makes the ride stiff, it came with a remote lock-out, so from the handle bar I can use the full suspension. When the fork is not locked out, the ride is plush and soaks up what used to be a rough ride. I think that the $350 was worth it.

mtbr member
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Your bike is a comfort bike, more designed for bike paths, rail/trails, etc. I would save your money and put it towards a decent entry level hardtail rather than upgrading the fork on that bike and trying to take it outside its intended use. Keep the GT for cruising and just riding around.

David B.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Check out ebay for the specialized e150 forks. They're going for steals and could up your game.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Check out ebay for the specialized e150 forks. They're going for steals and could up your game.
    Seriously?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Yeah, why not? They make some of the best forks out there and don't only fit on their own line.

mtbr member
    I am not up to speed with Specialized own products but when I search it comes up as a Dual Crown DH Fork. Now that being stated, glitz are you drunk? What makes you think that a Dual Crown fork would be suitable for his bike.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for all the help everyone i have decided to take "David B's" advice and buy an entry level hartail i have a little while before i will have enough money but i would like to know what you guys have to suggest so i can do some research before buying my criteria are less than 1k, disc brakes (hydrolic), and easily upgradable in the future!
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Yeah, why not? They make some of the best forks out there and don't only fit on their own line.
    Well, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but for the reasons Dremer states.

David B.

usually cranky
    are you for real glitz? first you suggest a pike then a dual crown? his bike has 50mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    are you for real glitz? first you suggest a pike then a dual crown? his bike has 50mm of travel.
    My recommendation is also bad. I did not look into what the bike was, figured it was just another XC bike. So also ignore my suggestion of the Recon Fork. The suggestion for a new bike is a much better one. Keep the Giant for a bike path rider.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Fat-tired Roadie
    Loving this thread. I mentioned the travel length 17 hours ago.

OP: until you have the money to spend on a mountain bike (and $300 can go pretty far on Craig's List, depending on where you are) the fattest cyclocross or 29er tires you can find will make your current ride a much better off-road bike. So you can keep getting better at mountain biking while you work on having the equipment to take you a lot further.

If it won't fit a 29er tire, Panaracer makes a 700x45mm knobby, and if it won't fit that, there are a ton of 700x35mm knobbies on the market for 'cross racing. I use Hutchinson Bulldogs for that.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

AZ
    banned
    Awesome thread .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy1
    Marzocchi for $300

I personally have a rockshox recon and love it but they sell for around $450
    Are Marzocchi forks relatively safe to buy these days? I was searching through the forums when i was researching forks and read a few things saying that they were really dropping the ball over the past few years.

local jackass
    ignore my posts in this thread like others i misunderstood
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    May 2009
    look on ebay...got a brand new 2009 tora sl solo air for $115 plus $15 for shipping.

usually cranky
    1000th post in an epic thread! woooohoooooooooo!