1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which bike will win the pocket book?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kona Blast

0 0%
  • Giant yukon fs

1 100.00%
  • Neither!

0 0%
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Some advice: Kona blast vs. Giant Yukon FS

I been looking for a new bike for a month. after reading through this forum i decided to go used for a better deal for my dollar. i found two bikes that have caught my attention and are the same price. will look at both this weekend to see the fit.

Kona Blast 18" 26er / Disc / Rockshox / Sram / 130mm Travel
    Giant Yukon Full Suspension

Does anyone with some knowledge know if these are good deals or not. I will be riding to college up some pretty good hills and hitting the trails whenever possible. Im 5'9 and 180 lbs. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some advice: Kona blast vs. Giant Yukon FS-kona_blast.jpeg  

Some advice: Kona blast vs. Giant Yukon FS-giant_yukon_fs.jpeg  

mtbr member
    I'm thinking i wouldn't trust the guy with the Kona, or anything that he has done to the bike. I would hope that "the frame was recently reconditioned with a 1200 degree automotive powder coat finish" is a typo. aluminum starts to melt at 1,221 degree.

on the other hand i have a yukon and love it for trail riding. I would say try them both and don't pay full asking price. make an offer for the one you want and see what you get. regardless of any work or upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thats a very interesting point. Kudos on knowing the melting point, thats pretty cool. yea im going to ride them both this weekend. the kona guy owns a bike shop, or at least thats what he says. thanks