1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Soft seat post v softtail

I love the response and feedback from my hardtail but would like a softer option without going for an all suspension bike . I have heard about seat posts with cushining , are they worth it or should I trade in the old battle axe ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good job!

Hi
    You must buy a new suspension seatpost.I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster Quadra LT Seatpost and i am in love with it.Now i feel my bike like a semi-full suspension bike.I believe that is the best seatpost ever.Don't be fooled from the price.This seatpost is the best upgrade for your hardtail.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Considerations

Hi!

Just bought a new hardtail and plan to put suspension seat post on it. My only concerns are weight of the post, seat-post reaction to bumps (soft vs jerky rebound), and knee position during rebound (i.e.seat lowers but feet/pedals do not). Any thoughts about these?

weirdo
    My only experience with suspension seatposts was a test-drive on a used bike at my local shop. Personally, I didn`t like it (it just felt "wierd"), but I know a lot of people do. Might be a good idea to try out the model you want before you buy if that`s possible. It`s worth noting that the one I tried was one of the in-line kind as opposed to the Thudbusters that pivot. I think the Thudbusters have interchangeable rubber springs to give a stiffer or softer ride, and supposedly, the pivoting action also keeps the seat at the same distance from your bottom bracket no matter how much you bounce it. Is that what you were asking about, Mountain Bike? And don`t worry too much about a few ounces- if you`re more comfortable a few extra ounces is a small price to pay.
    Recalculating....

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007
    Thanks rodar! Very helpful info...

Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I heard that suspension seat posts can start to stick, so I put a Brooks Champion Flyer on my Rockhopper and love it. The springs really smooth ou the ride let you sit down to take a break. It takes a little practice to be able to get behind it on steep descents though.

Long-Haired Freak
    IMO, a suspended seatpost is worth every penny.
    One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.
    - The Buddha