mtbr member

So proud of my wife!!

She finally commited to clipless today. She did it right and practiced in a static mode before riding. It is so nice to have a partner that likes the stuff you do! Here is a "timber" fall that we are all used to captured on film. She would not be happy knowing I posted this, but I am proud of her, and want to share with you guys!

mtbr member
    Congrats, but like you said...

She would not be happy knowing I posted this
    so watch your six.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Lucky you!

I'm yet to experience what your wife is gone through in the picture *knocks on wood*

and it is my first time on clipless today aswell! It's true that they say, " you'll never look back! "
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
    • OEM Spec

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_NiHM View Post
    It's true that they say, " you'll never look back! "
    Not true. I went back to flats.. Clipless hides a lot of your pedaling mistakes. By switching back to platforms from time to time, you can make sure that you still have good pedaling habits. With that said... I did a couple loops... now I'm going back!!! lol
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

clips...

never tried them, never will!

Clips that is. Got the wife.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    Not true. I went back to flats.. Clipless hides a lot of your pedaling mistakes. By switching back to platforms from time to time, you can make sure that you still have good pedaling habits. With that said... I did a couple loops... now I'm going back!!! lol
    Perhaps I'm being sucked in to my ego that going clipless made a boost of a higher cadence lol. I'm still eager to try what clipless has to
    offer!
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
    • OEM Spec

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe it's cause I haven't been on a bike in years, but I don't think I would ever like to have clipless pedals, but maybe once I start riding again and get good at it, I'll see the appeal. For now I'll stick to platforms!! Congrats to your wife though!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Clipless hides a lot of your pedaling mistakes. By switching back to platforms from time to time, you can make sure that you still have good pedaling habits.
    Can you expand on that a little? What kind of pedaling mistakes? Are you sure you don't mean "prevents" instead of "hides"? Big difference. I went to clipless soon after picking up MTBing and I'm glad I did. I love that fact that it keeps my feet in the right position all the time and I don't have to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Im doing my first clipless run today. If you dont hear from me again you know why...LOL!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Can you expand on that a little? What kind of pedaling mistakes? Are you sure you don't mean "prevents" instead of "hides"?
    I wouldn't say mistakes, rather, they're more like bad habits that you don't really notice and can get away with for quite some time until you come across an obstacle that creams you.

For instance, let's take a small ledge formed by a tree root or small log on a steep low speed uphill climb. With clipless the tendency is to simply keep pedaling hard then pull the rear wheel up & over using the pedals. With platforms, you pedal hard, do a power stroke or two to gain extra momentum to lift the front wheel over then back off the power while unweighting the rear wheel to get it over the log, then get back on the power hard as soon as the back tire makes it over.

Both techniques work just fine most of the time, the fun part is when it doesn't, in other words, what happens when the back wheel doesn't make it over? With the clipless technique there's a good chance you'll either crotch yourself on the toptube or get the nose of the saddle up your butt when the back wheel spins out on the log. You may also bash your knee(s) into the handlebar. Chances are quite good that you'll be in a lot of pain. With platforms technique you'll either end up straddling the bike with your feet on the ground or you might take a low speed sideways fall. It's a lot less painful.

The other thing is if you've practiced using the platform pedal technique, it allows you to clear bigger obstacles with more smoothness when you go back to using clipless. I find that riding platforms every once in a while helps me to be a smoother rider, and that's why I do it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I wouldn't say mistakes, rather, they're more like bad habits that you don't really notice and can get away with for quite some time until you come across an obstacle that creams you.

For instance, let's take a small ledge formed by a tree root or small log on a steep low speed uphill climb. With clipless the tendency is to simply keep pedaling hard then pull the rear wheel up & over using the pedals. With platforms, you pedal hard, do a power stroke or two to gain extra momentum to lift the front wheel over then back off the power while unweighting the rear wheel to get it over the log, then get back on the power hard as soon as the back tire makes it over.Sorry never felt the need or urgeto do as you describe

Both techniques work just fine most of the time, the fun part is when it doesn't, in other words, what happens when the back wheel doesn't make it over? With the clipless technique there's a good chance you'll either crotch yourself on the toptube or get the nose of the saddle up your butt when the back wheel spins out on the log. You may also bash your knee(s) into the handlebar. Chances are quite good that you'll be in a lot of pain. With platforms technique you'll either end up straddling the bike with your feet on the ground or you might take a low speed sideways fall. It's a lot less painful.nope you just pop out of the pedals

The other thing is if you've practiced using the platform pedal technique, it allows you to clear bigger obstacles with more smoothness when you go back to using clipless. I find that riding platforms every once in a while helps me to be a smoother rider, and that's why I do it.
    Sorry guy if anything I end-up with a hitch step pedal running clipless, and don't seen to have to fall off the bike if a fail to get over an obstacle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    At least she didn't land on the pointy iron fence

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Sorry guy if anything I end-up with a hitch step pedal running clipless, and don't seen to have to fall off the bike if a fail to get over an obstacle.
    Well, chances are you've been in the sport for a while and know what you're doing. My post is addressed more to people who aren't quite at that level yet.

I used to lead a lot of group rides for the riders in my city and also for bike shop customers. What I wrote is based on the things I saw on those rides, I got to see a lot of the mistakes made by beginner and intermediate level riders, as well as how true experts rode the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses fellas'. I also concur with the setiment that clipless gives you very good pedaling mechanics, not the other way around. You will make many range of motion, mechanical mistakes when not clipped in. I could not imagine riding a bike to the beer store, not clipped in!

BTW, it is now day two, and she has a few bruises visable from yesterday. Hope this doesn't backfire, and she loses confidence.

mtbr member
    For those of us not in 'the know'...Why is it called clipless when the whole idea is to be clipped into the pedal?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good question. The answer is that cyclists used to use toe clips. They are cages that your foot when into and were strapped in place. Clipless attaches to the shoe and does not use the cages (clips).

mtbr member
    Might have been a regional thing but we called them rat traps when I used them in the 70s.

mtbr member
    Get your wife some Five 10s and platforms, you'll be even more proud!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    No, practice your pedalling while clipped in too. Soo glad I finally went clipless a couple years ago and love my Crank Brothers Acids and Candy pedals! Way more control of bike and power while pedaling.

I'd stay away from that pointy iron fence while practicing...lol.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wow, I'm just getting my wife to get on a bike at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My wide finally wants to try some since she just ripped up her shin.