1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

So I manage to total my handlebars :(

Weird way to wreck yesterday..going down a routine downhill and I must have hit a rock at a funny angle and wrecked. Nothing happened to me, not even a scratch, but can't say the same about my handlebars. Finished the ride with the left bar facing south and the right side going north Now, I guess I'm in the market for some new bars. What do you guys recommend?

2012 Hardrock Disc, I would like to keep the bar at no more than $150. Keep in mind, I'm a noob when it comes to specs so if you recommend something, can you explain why? Also, I want these to last and quality is a big thing for me.

Thanks in advance

JRA
    Glad to hear you are ok. Bikes crash and parts break and not much you can do about that.

If the bar is bent that bad, is the stem ok?

$150 is a great budget for handlebars. That’ll buy you pretty much top of the line. In this price range, you can buy a very nice set of carbon bars. The Easton carbon bars are very popular and are right in your price range: Easton Havoc Carbon Handlebar '12 > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Mountain Bike Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The only downside to pricy parts is that if they break, they’re costly to replace.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

My little friends
    Are your bars bent, or just knocked off center? Most times you can just loosen the riser clamp and get them back to "east-west".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    Glad to hear you are ok. Bikes crash and parts break and not much you can do about that.

If the bar is bent that bad, is the stem ok?

$150 is a great budget for handlebars. That’ll buy you pretty much top of the line. In this price range, you can buy a very nice set of carbon bars. The Easton carbon bars are very popular and are right in your price range: Easton Havoc Carbon Handlebar '12 > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Mountain Bike Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The only downside to pricy parts is that if they break, they’re costly to replace.
    Thanks for the quick reply I'm not sure about the stem, but I'd feel more comfortable to replace that as well since I'm going brand new, might as well, right? Gives me piece of mind. Which stem should I go with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Are your bars bent, or just knocked off center? Most times you can just loosen the riser clamp and get them back to "east-west".
    They're bent. Had a buddy look at them and he said "they're toast"

JRA
    If you want to look at new stems, there are plenty on that website that I posted the link to. If you are in the market for a new stem, it is a great opportunity to fine tune the fit of your cockpit. The stems come in many lengths and rises. There are so many stems to choose from, you can usually pick up a good deal on prior year models. Just make sure any stem you order will match the outside diameter of you new handlebars.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Steezy Steve
    Feb 2011
    Personally, I wouldn't replace the stem, just make sure it isn't cracked. If the stem was torqued correctly, it should rotate on the steerer tube before damage. Also, when replacing the bar keep in mind anything you didn't like about your old bars like rise and sweep.

No Stranger to danger....
    OP, mate go to the CRC website n look at a hell of alot of bars, you need to figure out if you want high or low rise, i love the Deity dirty 30s you can pick em up for 80 bucks, you need to tell us how wide n how high your broken bars are n if you liked the feel of them, always buy a wide bar of at least 720cm or wider then you can cut the down to suit you, cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    pics please.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thomson Stems are great. Theyre well made and you can get them for $70-85. They also come in a variety of lengths and 10 degrees or 0 degrees. excellent stems.

I really like crank brothers handlebars. You'd probably want the cobalt 3 or iodine 3 unless youre really wanting carbon handlebars which would still fit into your 150 budget.
    scratches and dents show character on the bike or rider

Twisted Wreckage
    impressive to wreck bike and not wreck yourself,, thank the bike gods for the blessing
    Rep is for Mo's MTBR isn't an exclusive club

Ban me once shame on me, ban me twice, your security is weak

mtbr member
    If you decide to get a new stem, just remember all the other stems want to be a Thomson stem when they grow up. Just sayin.

Lots of really good bar options out there - Carbon is all the rage now - but in the situation you experienced the carbon bar may have survived as it could be stronger, or it would have shattered/snapped. It would not have provided a semi-rideable "bend" option. I do love my carbon bars that I have on all my bikes though......

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    On One stems are cheap and good. CNCed.