1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

So I fell today...

After riding for a little over 13 miles, I tried to jump a 6" curb from a less than ideal angle. The bike angled to the right and I was thrown over it to the left. Man oh man I'm glad I had gloves on. I skidded into dirt although my knee was scraped over something.

Yea... I just felt like sharing my first fall w/ y'all.

my fun has a hurting
    congrats! now that you have it out of the way its one less thing to be nervous about!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    True. It could have been much worse. Is it bad that a few minutes later I enjoyed the resulting adrenaline rush?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stuey
    Is it bad that a few minutes later I enjoyed the resulting adrenaline rush?
    Apparently that is not unusal, although people do react in different ways. I read in a magazine that pro downhill racer Cedric Gracia was unusually cheerful after he landed a jump on a tree stump that destroyed his front wheel.

I can live with bloody knees but bloody hands would be a pain...

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Won't be the first time.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

bi-winning
    yes, this goes to show that gloves should be warn for more than keeping your hands coumfy on the bars.

i'm glad you enjoyed the experience.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

...the wave won't brek
    Great!

Now that that is done and over with get out there and do it over and over and over again until you get it right!

You gotta love a good crash
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I wiped out sans-gloves yesterday -- first wreck on my new bike, and it happened 7 miles in to a 15 mile ride (aka the furthest point possible from my apt). Managed only minor missing skin on my hand, and a pizza-sized rasberry on my hip, but I am going back this afternoon to teach that particular section of trail that I mean business!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    lol (pizza sizes rasberry).

It was a bit embarassing since it's near my apartment complex and I just went flying. Still, I'm ready for more!

And as far as I could tell, there was no damage to the bike except my chain skipped a gear.