1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

So I am torn between a few bikes!

I recently had my Jamis XLT stolen last week while on vacation. That bike was near and dear to me, and I just can't justify purchasing another high dollar bike like that again! So I have been reading, and reading the forums. I want to keep my budget between 500-1,000.00 but I would like to be closer to 500. I am looking for a reliable hardtail that will last many years, and I don't mind lower end components that can be replaced down the road as they wear out!
    My choices thus far are as follows:

Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    The Top of the line Hardrock

Kona Blast

And the Jamis
    Durango3 and Dakota Sport

I currently own two Jamis road bikes, a Ventura Comp, and a Quest. I am very happy with my Jamis bikes, but like the others that I listed as well.....

My riding is a bunch of different types, from some rough mountain terrain, to the paved rail trails with the wife and kids....

Any help or your personal experiences with the bikes listed would be great!
    Thanks in advance,
    HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Too bad about your bike, any chance your homeowners insurance covers it? I recently had to chose between a Jamis Durango and Haro Escape. I ended up buying the Haro because it felt better, sturdier, and shifted smoother, but I still sometimes think about the Jamis. If you like Jamis and have had luck, I don't think you can go wrong with another.

Moooo!!!
    Aug 2008
    I can have the '08 rockhopper comp disc. I love it bu the disc has a bit lower end componenets but it's still a good bike. I give a +1 for the rockhopper

Geaux ride!
    I've ridden a Jamis Dakota whilest deciding between it and a Dragon. Went for the Dragon, but the Dakota was still a solid bike. +1 for Jamis!

/Haven't ridden the others on your list, but I'm sure they are comparable
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can the rockhopper take a beating!
    Not to confuse things, but I just started looking at the Haro escape, and Haro escape sport. they look like they can take a beating big time!!!
    My LBS has a few Specialized Rockhoppers ready to go, but he said he could get the Haro in, and ready to go for me in about a week.
    I just want something that will last and take a decent beating!!!
    Thanks again!
    HD

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just bought a Rockhopper(basic model) and it is awesome. I totally recommend it.
    Jarrod

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeydad2324
    Can the rockhopper take a beating!
    Not to confuse things, but I just started looking at the Haro escape, and Haro escape sport. they look like they can take a beating big time!!!
    My LBS has a few Specialized Rockhoppers ready to go, but he said he could get the Haro in, and ready to go for me in about a week.
    I just want something that will last and take a decent beating!!!
    Thanks again!
    HD
    Haro Escape here and it is ridden hard daily also used for jumping.
    If you can find an 07 like i did it has a lot better components then the 2008 Haro escape does.
    Either way for your budget the Haro Escape is a great buy. I love mine