1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: So...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

So...

...after a couple weeks of educating myself, researching and pretty much emmersing myself in the world of mountain biking, i finally ordered my first true mountain bike from the local lbs. It came down to the Specialized Hardrock Disc, the Felt Q520, the Trek 3900Disc or a handful of bikes from bikesdirect.com.

I decided to go with this for a few different reasons...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ries/3900disc/

Reason #1- Generally, the components just seemed to be better on the Trek than any of my other options. Especially for the money.

Reason #2- I wanted to buy from a local bike shop as opposed to online. Nothing against BD, i just wanted to support the lbs, as well as make warranty and tune-up stuff easier on myself.

Reason #3- The lbs was able to keep me under my $500 budget.

Reason #4- The frame and color scheme pretty much kick @$$!

So my questions to you guys...do you think i made the right choice?

Also, what gear is essential to start riding right away? And what gear should have eventually, but dont necessarily need for my first few rides?

And for you fellow Arizona (East Valley) riders, where should a relatively inexperienced rider who is in good shape, get started?

mtbr member
    Conbratulations. Nothing wrong with that choice.

You need immediately:

- Helmet (crash protection)
    - Gloves (crash protection)

- Patch kit & pump (flats happen to all of us)
    - Mini tool (adjustments and small repairs on the trail)

Later:

- Bike specific clothing
    - Upgrades and bling parts
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Conbratulations. Nothing wrong with that choice.

You need immediately:

- Helmet (crash protection)
    - Gloves (crash protection)

- Patch kit & pump (flats happen to all of us)
    - Mini tool (adjustments and small repairs on the trail)

Later:

- Bike specific clothing
    - Upgrades and bling parts
    Thanks...

Where is the best place to go for that stuff? Anyone have any websites that they prefer? Or any AZ locals know of the best shop to go to?

MTB skillz = NADA
    I think you did just fine. Enjoy your new bike!
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982
    Thanks...

Where is the best place to go for that stuff? Anyone have any websites that they prefer? Or any AZ locals know of the best shop to go to?
    Your LBS should have it, or an REI or other similar store. You will definitely want to try on the helmet and gloves (at least the first go around).
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    I would skip REI / LBS and go with these guys. Im all for supporting a LBS but I also wanna save some cash. You will more then likely get better deals online. Price point always have some good deals and are fast at shipping

http://www.pricepoint.com/
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

W'bu V Peddler
    A may be a good idea to go to a LBS to get some of the common trail essentials just to build a relationship with your LBS. They can be helpful to you and drop you some deals from time to time. They may also have group rides and such that is fun too. I like getting the best price possible but my LBS throws deals at me to keep me off "pricepoint" and some others. I love those sites, and there is nothing wrong with them, I have used them a time or two. I am sure you got your bike from a LBS so they may work with you right away on discounts or whatever...
    09 Titus Motolite...
    Sram X-7 Group (for now)
    Clark Skeletal Brakes
    Truvativ Stylo Crank
    Crank Bros Pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor666
    I would skip REI / LBS and go with these guys. Im all for supporting a LBS but I also wanna save some cash. You will more then likely get better deals online. Price point always have some good deals and are fast at shipping

http://www.pricepoint.com/

+1, LBS is great in all but you will pay close to MSRP unless you get in good with the LBS. www.pricepoint.com has great deals and hard to beat.

Also an awesome site www.chainlove.com Every 30 mins a new deal comes up... You can catch some crazy deals, I just got an awesome wet weather jacket for 77% off!

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong I support my local LBS but since I'm in a small town with 2 shops online is cheaper. We only had 1 shop until 2 weeks ago and that one shop new that . Their prices and customer service just sucked. I got things online that were 10-15 bucks cheaper then at the LBS. Im just hoping this new shop noticed the problems with the other shop and are trying not to be like them
    1.. 2.. 3... 4...........FIFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    +1, LBS is great in all but you will pay close to MSRP unless you get in good with the LBS. www.pricepoint.com has great deals and hard to beat.

Also an awesome site www.chainlove.com Every 30 mins a new deal comes up... You can catch some crazy deals, I just got an awesome wet weather jacket for 77% off!
    On the topic of chainlove, backcountry.com has a couple other "deal at a time" sites. I use cleansnipe.com to check them often.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Immediate purchase: Waterbottle cage.
    You can use throw an old soda bottle in it, but you need the cage.