1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Snapped tube! Need help picking out new fork on budget - '01 Stumpjumper - PICS!

Hey everyone,

I've got an '01 Specialized Stumpjumper pro that is my daily commuter. The other day a car pulled out in front of me, and I only had a 180mm front brake on at the time, ended up stopping too quick and flipping over the bike and snapping the steering tube on my sid fork. So, looks like I need a new one...

I wasn't really expecting to get hit with this, so I'm on a budget. The previous owner installed the fork, and at the same time they put spacers in between the headset and the stem to bring the bars up a bit. The frame keeps me pretty crouched down even with the spacers, so I'd like to keep them.

The tube length of what I pulled off is pretty long, 9 1/8" (standard 1 1/8" tube, untapered). The forks an older 28mm rockshox sid, I tried to rebuild it to no avail over the winter. It doesn't lockout, it flexes like crazy, and wobbles all over the place under braking. Blah.

So my budget isn't much, I'd like something used. $150-200 max, think I could get 32mm stanchions for that much? Any recommendations would be awesome. As far as headset goes, I've already picked out an FSA orbit xtreme pro.

Thanks in advance!

Pics:
    Snapped tube! Need help picking out new fork on budget - '01 Stumpjumper - PICS!-img_1494-1.jpgSnapped tube! Need help picking out new fork on budget - '01 Stumpjumper - PICS!-img_1638.jpgSnapped tube! Need help picking out new fork on budget - '01 Stumpjumper - PICS!-img_1672-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    While you wait, reinstall it without the spacers and see if you can get it to clamp even if the top of the stem is slightly above the steerer tube. Yes I ride a fork like that cause that's the only way it fits. Zero problems. At least you can ride until you find a used Reba 2010-2012 off ebay.
    Shorter stem and/or more bar rise will get you more upright.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Try it like eb1888 said, as long as there's no damage to the rest of the fork. If I'm reading your story correctly, you didn't actually hit the car - you just flipped the bike over the front.

If this bike is mostly used for commuting, would you consider a solid fork instead? You can get a sturdy rigid fork for your budget, which would only get you a low end suspension fork. The rigid fork will be lighter and attract less attention from thieving eyes.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Get a rigid fork, SIDs aren't made for flipping over the bars like Biker Fox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nah, I can't get it to safely bolt up. Too much tube is gone from when I cut some off so i could hammer it out. My headset bearing is trashed, too.

So ok, I'll pick up a cheap ridgid fork for now, and the headset. BTW, is it gonna be a pain in the ass to reuse the headset if I get a better fork later? Should I just buy two?

These are the parts im about to order:

Fork:
    Rigid Straight MTB Mountain Bike Fork Black 1 1 8 26 In | eBay

Headset:
    FSA Orbit Extreme Pro Headset Black 1 1 8 Threadless | eBay

mtbr member
    When swapping forks just carefully remove the crown and install it on the other.

Check you axle to crown measurement but seems like a good fit.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    You don't have to have two headsets. If you swap a different fork later on, all you need is to swap the crown race from the old to the new one. Or just hunt around online and see if you can buy just the matching crown race by itself.

Another part you might need is a disc caliper post adapter. The ebay fork is an IS mount, and (I think) your SID is a post mount; I'm not totally sure. Find the post adapter for your brake brand and rotor size if you need one. They're cheap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check the axle to crown measurement you need. That fork seems short.
    Your bike probably came with a Dart or similar shock. That's got a A2C measurement of 454. Sag will be about 25mm, would still be a height of 430. The fork on Ebay has a A2C of 370 - a big difference.

A quick look at a Salsa Cromoto 26" fork, it has a A2C of 425. The description of the Salsa fork says:
    Suspension corrected for less than 80mm travel or older model 80mm travel suspension forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any recommendations for a good fork down the road? I was looking at either rock shox or fox, since they both seem to put out quality parts for the most part. I'm about 200, I think the last fork I had was made for someone lighter, yea? I think it was an '02 SID SL.

Whats good in a $3-350 range? Would it make more sense to get a thru axle front wheel and a cheaper fork? Or should I stay 9mm QR and put all the money into the fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    You don't have to have two headsets. If you swap a different fork later on, all you need is to swap the crown race from the old to the new one. Or just hunt around online and see if you can buy just the matching crown race by itself.

Another part you might need is a disc caliper post adapter. The ebay fork is an IS mount, and (I think) your SID is a post mount; I'm not totally sure. Find the post adapter for your brake brand and rotor size if you need one. They're cheap.
    Hm, ok. Here's a bracket I had to pick up when I went from 160mm to 180 rotors, Swapped the 160 rear bracket to the front, looks pretty much like this one...

Amazon.com: Avid 40mm IS CPS Mounting Bracket , for 180mm IS Rear AND 200 IS Front: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Snapped tube! Need help picking out new fork on budget - '01 Stumpjumper - PICS!

For a commuter mountain bike, I would go for a rigid fork and high volume slicks to take the harshness out. Is your commute full gnarl?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A better fork is the way to go,if you went with a thru axle you would most likely need to replace the hub/wheel. Before you think about spending that much on a fork ,think about upgrading the whole bike.You could get something used and nice in the 600/700 $ range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Check the axle to crown measurement you need. That fork seems short.
    Your bike probably came with a Dart or similar shock. That's got a A2C measurement of 454. Sag will be about 25mm, would still be a height of 430. The fork on Ebay has a A2C of 370 - a big difference.

A quick look at a Salsa Cromoto 26" fork, it has a A2C of 425. The description of the Salsa fork says:
    Suspension corrected for less than 80mm travel or older model 80mm travel suspension forks.
    Good advice, I knew it was too good to be true! Ill look for one of those instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullCircling View Post
    Ehh... If you're going to spend that much for a rigid at least get a brand with a reputation. Here's what I would get personally.

Voodoo Cycles Zombie Rigid Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Hm, ok. Here's a bracket I had to pick up when I went from 160mm to 180 rotors, Swapped the 160 rear bracket to the front, looks pretty much like this one...

Amazon.com: Avid 40mm IS CPS Mounting Bracket , for 180mm IS Rear AND 200 IS Front: Sports & Outdoors
    I don't quite understand your reply. You're saying you've got 180's on the front, but are using a 160 rear bracket on the front?

Yes, it looks like the bracket you posted. And i'm sure you already noticed that link is for a 200mm front rotor, not the 180 that you have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    I don't quite understand your reply. You're saying you've got 180's on the front, but are using a 160 rear bracket on the front?

Yes, it looks like the bracket you posted. And i'm sure you already noticed that link is for a 200mm front rotor, not the 180 that you have.
    Exactly, the bike came with 160 front and rear, so when I went to 180, people swap the rear bracket for the front (it works fine), and get a bigger one for the rear. That bracket I posted up can be used for 180mm rear, or 200mm front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok, so I think I'm gonna go with a Surly 1x1. I looked at the link for the Salsa Cromoto, and there's a review in there (with pics) that shows the fork bent backwards. Meh..
    Salsa Cromoto 26" Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The reviews look solid for this one, though. Does the geometry look okay?
    Surly 1X1 Fork > Components > Forks > Rigid Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just measured axle to crown on the SID, its 425mm.
    Salsa Cromoto is 425mm, and Surly 1x1 is 413mm. Hmmm, will that make a difference?

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    If you want a really tall rigid fork (453mm AC), there's Nashbar's own house brand fork. I've had two of these things, and they are sturdy, cheap, no nonsense forks. A little heavy though.
    Nashbar Rigid Mountain Bike Fork - Mountain Bike Suspension Forks

Will you notice the difference in AC? A little at first. Will it affect your riding? Not really, except the lack of suspension to help soften the blows. I think it is the best teaching tool, because it forces the rider to use his body as the suspension. It makes you learn how to read the trail and find the smoothest lines. Your muscle memory adapts to the new position quickly. I once bought a Dimension disc fork for a bike that had a crap 100mm suspension fork. The Dimension has a super short AC of 410mm, so it dropped my head angle down by a lot, but it didn't keep me from doing anything I could do before the swap. Sure made the front end a lot lighter though.

Between the two stores I prefer buying from Jenson, but only because both of us are CA so shipping is very fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just measured axle to crown on the SID, its 425mm.
    Salsa Cromoto is 425mm, and Surly 1x1 is 413mm. Hmmm, will that make a difference?
    I think it will be OK. It will drop your bottom bracket a tiny bit and quicken your steering slightly - not bad things for a commuter bike. Plus the SID measurement would be less when sagged.