1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Snap Noise Carbon Frame

I heard a loud crack or snap kind of sound the last time I hit the trails. It sounded like a screw being over tightened. It happened when I was going up hill and stood up to pedal at the top of the hill. It happened twice on different inclines. Each time I stopped and examined my bike. I didn't see anything but it got me worried. My bike is a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp. Any idea what that sound could have been? I haven't taken it to the shop yet. Hopefully I have time this weekend.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

Only 5 lives left
    Might be a cassette cog/chain noise or one of the cogs is slipping on the freehub body. Was it in a particular gear combination? Sometimes the chain can be a little off of the cog and makes noise when under stress.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Did it feel like the chain was slipping or trying to change gears? Were you standing pedaling each time it happened? Can you reproduce the problem. Alot things can make noise on a bike, espically if something is loose so you will have to try and track it down. And with everything being hollow the noise can sound like its coming from somewhere its not.

Some things I look for. If the sound happens every revolution of the wheel its probably something wheel, hub, brake issue. If it happens only when you are pedaling then look at the cranks, pedals, BB, cassete, chain, rear hub, suspension pivots, seat post/clamp, seat rails. I also try and wiggle indivial compoents to see if they are loose or make noise, like bounce on the suspension, hold the brakes and rock the bike back and forth, grab the crank arms and move them to see if they have any play or loose, etc.

mtbr member
    Well it happened right on a down stroke almost at the top of each incline. I've never had a problem with the chain slipping and I only heard the noise twice. The first time I thought it was a branch hitting my frame or even the chain slipping but, when it happen the second time in the exact same conditions that's when I got worried. I've never heard it before and I wouldn't like to try to reproduce it since it was an ugly cracking sound. I guess my question would be, Can I really crack the frame or damage it by the strain of a climb? A side note: I had a tune up the day before the ride. They took off my gears and cleaned them and also tightened the pivot points of the rear suspension.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    My pedals have made some strange snapping noises with really getting on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSZ View Post
    Can I really crack the frame or damage it by the strain of a climb? A side note: I had a tune up the day before the ride. They took off my gears and cleaned them and also tightened the pivot points of the rear suspension.
    If everything is working as it should there is no way you should be able to crack the frame in a climb. Maybe take it back to the place who tuned it up and explain the problem. Maybe it was something they did, left something loose. If anything they would hopefully help you find the problem.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Pawls in your hub.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know much about the carbon frame stumpys but I have M5 Al 2010 epic expert and the replaceable dropout / RD Hanger can sometimes work loose and make a loud cracking noise when putting the power down. I have tried loctite blue and it still happens occasionally.
    As others have said hub pawls, pedals, slipping cassette, sus bearing, loose stem bar clamp bolt etc. there are numerous points (on full sus especially) that can lead to strange noises. I usually take it as a sign to spend a rainy day pulling it apart, cleaning, lubing and putting all back together - unless I can absolutely track it down to a specific issue.