1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Slipping seatpost even with new salsa clamp

Recently bought a new Scott Scale 960 29er. Initially had problems with the seat post slipping so after reading about similar problems and recommendations, bought a 35mm salsa flip lock clamp to replace the stock clamp. I degreased the post, put a light smear of teflon grease on the post and have done it up to the correct torque settings. Now the bloody thing is even worse. Went for a ride today and must have stopped over 10 times to keep lifting the post back up.The seat was even moving left and right if i knocked it with my leg. Tried wiping some of the grease off as this has seemed to have made the problem worse. How tight can you go before damaging the frame as theres not a lot of resistance to open and close the clamp. Is this how it should be or should i have to use some force to close the clamp?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuzzwuzzer View Post
    I degreased the post, put a light smear of teflon grease on the post and have done it up to the correct torque settings. Now the bloody thing is even worse.
    When you say "correct torque settings", are you talking about the QR lever? That is adjustable and should be set so it clamps down tightly, it shouldn't require a lot of force to close it but there should be a fair amount of resistance. I'd try tightening it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes.I have fitted the salsa QR lever. Closed it and done it up to the specified torque settings. In the manual it states Seatpost seatclamp torque settings:
    M4 2.8-3.9 Nm
    M5 5.6-7.8 Nm
    M6 9.8-13.7 Nm

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Slipping seatpost even with new salsa clamp

You could try some of that grease for carbon fiber seat posts. It's gritty.

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bi...sh+line+carbon

--
    Stephen
    Last edited by drwx; 01-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuzzwuzzer View Post
    In the manual it states Seatpost seatclamp torque settings:
    M4 2.8-3.9 Nm
    M5 5.6-7.8 Nm
    M6 9.8-13.7 Nm
    How do you measure torque on a QR lever?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    By using the torque wrench to tighten the allen bolt when it is closed ?

mtbr member
    Got it, I didn't know that QR had an allen bolt. I'd still tighten it a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you use a wrench to tighten down a quick release, well Your not using it for its intended purpose. Its meant to be tightened by hand. If you want to be all meticulous (unnecessarily) then by a non qr bolt through.

I can't believe this was even posted on here. You got a quality clamp, now clamp the s*** out of it

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes its meant to be used by hand but the initial install surely should be done to the correct settings ? I dont carry the torque wrench around with me on rides ! I'll try clamping the **** out of it then lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Built over 20 bikes, but never a torque wrench. Unless I'm in the inside of an engine will I find the need for one.

Ride hard

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

EDR
    I wonder if the torque spec is meant to be set with the QR in the open position...

anyhow I agree with the others....just tighten the **** out of it.

mtbr member
    The best setting for QR skewers is "as tight as you can operate without tools such as extension levers or a hammer".

If you're particularly strong, maybe you don't need to go as far, but regular folks should "oomph" a bit when closing the lever. Weaker individuals should tighten it to the point of actually struggling a bit.

mtbr member
    You said you degreased the post, but then you then lubed it again.

Did you degrease the frame?

If not, you didn't degrease anything and you may still have too much grease in there.

Wipe down the post and wipe out the seat tube.

Install the post "dry" and see if the slipping stops.

If it does, then just apply a very light coating of grease and tighten down the clamp a bit more and you should be good.

If you've got too much grease, even cranking down the QR may not be the fix.

Fix should be the balance between minimal grease and clamp pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    go with the carbon seat post paste. It will solve your problem.

mtbr member

yep...

degrease, apply gritty ****, tighten clamp, give it a kiss next...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slipping seatpost even with new salsa clamp-616shv%252bikel._sl1500_.jpg  

2014 Marin Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a Scale 29 Comp and had trouble with the seatpost dropping. Talked to my lbs about it. He measured inside the seat tube. We switched from the stock 31.6 to a 31.8 seatpost and that solved my problem.