1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Slipping Grips

mtbr member

Slipping Grips

Does anyone know anyway in which i can keep the grips to stay on my handlebars in the wet. They stay put in the dry, but in the wet they have a tendancy to slip off when turning the handlebars quickly which generally leads to me nearly falling off my bike. For example today i did an X-up and the grip came clean off the handlebar and there is now a nice gash in my knee. I also dont really want to get the lockable grips because i can't really get a decent wearing pair where i live.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mmm
    try spraying aquanet underneath the grips
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member

ya

The aquanet trick works sometimes. (just make sure to get the grips on before it dries) However for me it was only a temp fix and then they would start slipping again. The lock-on's was the only thing that worked for me! I use the Yeti hardcore and they work great..don't know if those are in you limited access. (i use the 3/4 grips made for Sram grippies)

Just my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    my mate has used washing up liquid (or sumthing like that) and i had a really hard time of getting them off. But there is a precise way you must do it otherwise it makes it worse, but he cant remember exactly how to do it. anyone had any experience with this method??? i know its wierd but it has worked!!! just cant reproduce it
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Former Bike Wrench
    3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive will totally eliminate the problem...better than hairspray (which only works till it gets wet)...downside, you have to cut off your grips and clean your bars before putting on a new pair of grips (or removing shifters or brake levers). We used to use this stuff on Ti bars back in the day because grips would never stay put on them.

dirty trail dog
    This is pretty much the only answer:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=40374

[edit] sorry, my reading comprehension is lacking these days
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rebus; 02-11-2007 at 10:04 AM.
    yep...

Former Bike Wrench
    agree'd but he said he didn't want lock-ons so the Super 77 is the next best thing...forgot to mention its usually available at hardware stores

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    WD-40 and TriFlow also work really well

Double-metric mtb man
    I use the Super 77 at work and it is a good adhesive...but as was mentioned, you'd better not want to take the grips off for any reason.

If you ever change your mind about lock ons, ODI makes some good ones with a variety of grips available. I've been running a set for over a year now and they are holding up quite well (1000 miles + to date).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Going for a ride......
    What sort of grips are you running?
    I recently got Ourys and they recommend gluing them on. I generally use water to get my grips on and when it dries they tend to stick pretty good. The ourys still seem to move a bit so could get worse in the wet, if they do I'll be looking at some sort of adhesive - something not too strong!
    I tried lock ons which are great but found the Odis still had a iddy bit of annoying play, and the bolts are prone to rounding if you take them on and off to often and over tighten, hence I switched back to standard grips.
    energetix

mtbr member
    i just got a pair of ODI Rogue lock-ons off the net for cheap including postage

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Here's another vote for Super 77. Just visit your local hobby store for a small can. To you 77 users, did you spray the bars or the inside of the grip? I'd think that if you spray the grip, you might get a dry spot which would make it hell when sliding it on.

...idios...
    Remove grips and wipe handlebars clean with alcohol or degreaser. Dry thoroughly. Dry inside grip. Spray a couple of short blasts (one each end) of the cheapest hairspray you can find (easy less than $1, the cheaper the better) into each grip. Push grip back on bars. Pull grip back off bars. Blow into grip. Push grip back on bars. Leave for a half hour. Job done.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I used the hairspray trick also on my pork rinds and have biked a couple times in downpours (not on purpose I was caught on the trail both times). They didn't slide either time.

Going for a ride......
    With Oury's I've also heard of some sort of trick using wire on either end in the recess between the grip lugs - a method that moto riders generally use. So could be worth trying if you don't like the idea of glue. A moto shop would also have some sort of grip glue.

This thread could be worth a read...
    Grips

here is a picture that I sourced from the thread above...

energetix

Former Bike Wrench
    Try riding in the PNW where it not only rains, but its humid...you'll see how well hairspray works.

Double-metric mtb man
    wiring on grips is pretty much the same idea as using a lock-on style with the exception that if you tighten the wire too much, you could cut the grips.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    i'll try the hairspray thing tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help so far. Its supposed to rain tomorrow aswell so lets see if it stands up to the test.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

I post too much.
    Lock-ons are pretty much your best option. Why would you have trouble getting them in your area?