Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Slipping Grips

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  snaky69 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anyway in which i can keep the grips to stay on my handlebars in the wet. They stay put in the dry, but in the wet they have a tendancy to slip off when turning the handlebars quickly which generally leads to me nearly falling off my bike. For example today i did an X-up and the grip came clean off the handlebar and there is now a nice gash in my knee. I also dont really want to get the lockable grips because i can't really get a decent wearing pair where i live.

#3 ·
ya

The aquanet trick works sometimes. (just make sure to get the grips on before it dries) However for me it was only a temp fix and then they would start slipping again. The lock-on's was the only thing that worked for me! I use the Yeti hardcore and they work great..don't know if those are in you limited access. (i use the 3/4 grips made for Sram grippies)

Just my $.02

#4 ·
my mate has used washing up liquid (or sumthing like that) and i had a really hard time of getting them off. But there is a precise way you must do it otherwise it makes it worse, but he cant remember exactly how to do it. anyone had any experience with this method??? i know its wierd but it has worked!!! just cant reproduce it

#5 ·
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive will totally eliminate the problem...better than hairspray (which only works till it gets wet)...downside, you have to cut off your grips and clean your bars before putting on a new pair of grips (or removing shifters or brake levers). We used to use this stuff on Ti bars back in the day because grips would never stay put on them.

#9 ·
I use the Super 77 at work and it is a good adhesive...but as was mentioned, you'd better not want to take the grips off for any reason.

If you ever change your mind about lock ons, ODI makes some good ones with a variety of grips available. I've been running a set for over a year now and they are holding up quite well (1000 miles + to date).

#10 ·
What sort of grips are you running?
I recently got Ourys and they recommend gluing them on. I generally use water to get my grips on and when it dries they tend to stick pretty good. The ourys still seem to move a bit so could get worse in the wet, if they do I'll be looking at some sort of adhesive - something not too strong!
I tried lock ons which are great but found the Odis still had a iddy bit of annoying play, and the bolts are prone to rounding if you take them on and off to often and over tighten, hence I switched back to standard grips.

#12 ·
Here's another vote for Super 77. Just visit your local hobby store for a small can. To you 77 users, did you spray the bars or the inside of the grip? I'd think that if you spray the grip, you might get a dry spot which would make it hell when sliding it on.

#13 ·
Remove grips and wipe handlebars clean with alcohol or degreaser. Dry thoroughly. Dry inside grip. Spray a couple of short blasts (one each end) of the cheapest hairspray you can find (easy less than $1, the cheaper the better) into each grip. Push grip back on bars. Pull grip back off bars. Blow into grip. Push grip back on bars. Leave for a half hour. Job done.

#15 ·
With Oury's I've also heard of some sort of trick using wire on either end in the recess between the grip lugs - a method that moto riders generally use. So could be worth trying if you don't like the idea of glue. A moto shop would also have some sort of grip glue.

This thread could be worth a read...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=254926

here is a picture that I sourced from the thread above...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.