1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Slip on grips slipping?

So I put new grips on using the hairspray method, and now they slip off so easily that I can hardly ride without them slipping half way off??? Did I do something wrong? I washed out the grips with soap and water hoping to remedy the problem to no such luck. The grips are just cheap Oury grips. Is it just the grips or what??

Probably drunk right now

A couple things...

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDager
    So I put new grips on using the hairspray method, and now they slip off so easily that I can hardly ride without them slipping half way off??? Did I do something wrong? I washed out the grips with soap and water hoping to remedy the problem to no such luck. The grips are just cheap Oury grips. Is it just the grips or what??
    What are your steps for "hairspray method"?

Look at lock on grips. One of the best upgrades mountain bikers can make to their bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1.) Spray hairspray on handlebars 2.) Slide on grips =Didn't work for me?

mtbr member
    I've used regular Oury's without problems. Here's what I did:

-pour a cap full of rubbing alcohol in the grip, put your hand over the other end and then shake it around
    -clean the bar with rubbing alcohol and then wipe some more on to make it easier to slide the grip on
    -install grip
    -wait. This is very important and might be what you missed. Using alcohol my grips still moved around easily for at least 24 hours so i let it sit and cure, i.e. completely dry out. Even with hairspray, if it isn't dry it won't stick tight. The Oury is made from a soft and tacky rubber. If it has a clean and dry interface with the bar you will have a very hard time moving it. Also, the grip seemed to seal itself well against the bar so that external moisture couldn't get in

Using those steps my Ourys stayed very tight. I actually had the opposite problem trying to get them off. What a pain in the butt

Former Bike Wrench
    3M Super 77 does it every time...but you pretty much have to cut the grips off when you replace them

mtbr member

slip

I use spit.Dries like glue.You need water to get them off.

pronounced may-duh
    Just get the lock on grips and be done with it. Easy on, easy off, and always secure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i tried everything including glue to get my ourys to not slip. nothing worked, a search here found tons of people with the same problem. i gave up and went lock ons!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I washed out the grips with soap and water hoping to remedy the problem to no such luck.
    Nice move there cowboy .

spec4life???..smh...
    I tried several methods to get my ourys to stay with no luck. I would go around a turn and end up with the grip in my hand, but no connected to the bar.

The only way to get them to stick and not move at all is to glue them. Get some spray on adhesive, like in a spray paint can, then spray it on the inside of the grip. Slide it on and let it set for a day or so. You wont be able to pull it off if you try. (kinda a problem if you ever want to switch grips though). You wont have to worry about it ever slipping again.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'd read somewhere to try wd40... it worked for a while... but yesterday i went out on the trail after a rain (which is kosher in FL)... so it was a very humid ride... 1/2 way though the ride and i was getting lots of throttling... i'm done with them... my next order online will include some lockons... i've got them on my other bike and it makes life so much easier when i'm playing with different bars and such... simple nut and it's off the bar... put it back on and tighten the nut and suddenly no problem with the grips spinning...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevirey
    I use spit.Dries like glue.You need water to get them off.
    +1, that's the only way I've ever installed grips and as long as I let them dry good for about 24 hours they don't move at all.

mtbr member
    If your grips are slipping clean the handle bars and the inside of the grips with some good ammonia products. I use Windex to clean off grime for stuff like that. Or you could go with lock on grips as suggested.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ourys are extra loose.. i dont think theres a trick that gets them to stick. you can glue them on, but then you have to cut them off if you need to service your shifters or most brakes.

my ourys slipped with spit, hairspray, and even glue. they're just too loose.i finally got them stuck with superglue, but thats overkill. im sure it'll be a nightmare to pick the grip pieces off the bar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yea I've pretty much given up on them, tried everything, so I've ended up taking some old beat up grips with hardly any grip left on them, slid them on the bars are voile they stuck perfect, no slippage what so ever just spit on the bars, no hairspray or nothing so needless to say my fabulous Ourys are gonna sit in the spare parts bin for a good while... Thanks for all the posts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had the same problem with Serfas. I tried alcohol, water, hair spray, nothing worked. I bought a cheap set of Sette lock-ons for ten bucks, and can't see me ever not using lock-ons.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What about safety wire? Lock On Grips Hands down! Or how about some band clamps?

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    try using WD-40 and let them sit overnight.....seriously, but lock-on is the best/easiest option

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just glue them on using grip glue. I use Honda motorcycle grip glue personally. Clean the bars and the inside of the grips first using rubbing alcohol. Let the glue cure for 24 hours. This method works so well that you will likely have to cut the grips off, but sometimes compressed air will work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Whatever method you use, the most important thing is that both the grip and the bar must be CLEAN. Handlebars often have a film of oil, either from the manufacturing when they're new, or from excess when the bike is serviced, or residue from using oil based products when mounting grips.

Clean the handle bar with alcohol and let dry. Since you have goo inside the grips from your last attempt clean them the same way. Let them both dry, then using a bit of spit, water, or alcohol as a lube push the grip on in one smooth motion, wait for things to dry (possibly as much as overnight) and you should be good to go.

Oury grips are made of a sticky grade of PVC and shouldn't need help staying put, but if they do a light touch of hairspray or a drop of grip glue works as a lube to install, then dries to an adhesive. BTW - not all hairsprays are the same, some have "conditioners" (oil) in them -- you want the old fashioned "firm hold" stuff.

Whatever you decide to use, remember less is better, and nothing works if you don't start with clean surfaces.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.