1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Slick Road Tires on XC Hardtail

I'm thinking of buying a XC Hardtail (Iron Horse Warrior Expert from rscycle.com). I ride half a mile to school on a forty-pound full suspension department-store bike pretty often, and it's not too convenient.

If I wanted to a relatively easy ride, could I replace the stock MTB tires on the Iron Horse with road slicks during the week? I'm leaning away from getting a road bike / hybrid because I might go on a trail once every several weeks; and I could just pop the stock tires back on. It's only half a mile, too.

How long would it take to replace the tires?

pronounced may-duh
    sure you could by some slicks but if you ride trails often I think it would be a drag to have to change the tires all the time. for a 1/2 mile ride I don't think its worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What about installing thinner 1.9" tires on a wheelset that came with 2.1" tires? Can I install 1/4" road tires if I wanted to?

pronounced may-duh
    1.9" are fine. No such thing as 1/4" wide tires. The narrowest Mtn bike tires (26") are 1" wide. To use those you need special thin tubes. But really for a 1/2 mile ride who cares? At a reasonable pace of 10mph thats only a 3-4 minute ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You might get by just fine with something like these.

nashbar link

slick-ish on the face, knobs on the side for grip on dirt and in turns
    should ride just like a slick on the roads

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've heard that those knobs on the sides give out under sharp cornering =/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just put a set of michelin transworld citys on my hardtail for riding to work 7mi on hard bike trail the difference is amazing. Just not having the whine alone is great,but if i had to chance once a week i think i would get another set of wheels.IMO

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So just how long does it take to swap out the tires? If it's an improvement, I'll guess I'll just swap them when I go for long road trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aridese
    So just how long does it take to swap out the tires? If it's an improvement, I'll guess I'll just swap them when I go for long road trips.
    Once you get good at using a set of tire irons you could do it in like 10 or 15 minutes. It might be more of a pain than it's worth, only you'd know.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

bang
    depends on how fast you are. you could always get a set of fast rolling mtb tires, like these. they would be fine. rolls fast, and they have a large volume so they absorb small bumps well. no tire swapping needed then. those tires are good for dry hardpack only though.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    depends on how fast you are. you could always get a set of fast rolling mtb tires, like these. they would be fine. rolls fast, and they have a large volume so they absorb small bumps well. no tire swapping needed then. those tires are good for dry hardpack only though.
    The Python light has a pretty thin casing, I liked the gold better.

The 1"- 1.5 slicks are have a harsh ride IMO, check out a larger volume slick or semislick on a MTB for commuting. The schwalb big apple looks like a fun smooth tire, wish I could find them cheap!
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    takes 10 min forget tire irons just push beads over rims

mtbr member
    I think swapping from slicks to knobbies all the time would get old pretty quick. If your road ride is only 1/2 mile you may as well just keep the knobbies on there.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Also, when having dual sets of wheels and tires, you have to consider brake pad alignment (mostly talking V Brakes). I have two sets of wheels and tires for my Hardrock, one the standard 2.2 mountain bike knobbies that came standard with the bike and the other set a 1.75 Continental Kevlar roadie tires (smooth in center, knobs on side).

Not only do I have to swap the wheels, I have to re-align the brakes becuase the brakes when on the standard 2.2 wheel, will not even touch the rim on the 1.75 and worse when they do, they go into the spokes so not only have to adjust the reach, have to adjust the pads vertically as well.

Constant swapping is not good on the brake cables as you will inevitably pull out the cable cap and then your cable will start fraying and the constant back and forth pulling on the cable can't be good.

Just something to consider

Like catnip for people
    I swapped out my Maxxis Ignitors (26 x 2.3 from memory) to some Cheng Shin Tire traveller slicks (26 x 1.15) ... Boy what a difference...

Goes hella fast now, I'm overtaking cars on the downhills...

I takes me about 10 minutes to swap tires...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I swap tires on a constant basis. I ride on the street about 10-15miles a day on lunch break, then swap the slicks off for some knobby tires to hit the trails at least 2-3 times a week. It gets to be a royal pain. For a 1/2 mile ride I would just deal with knobbies. I am hoping to move into the FS world and leave the slicks on my hardtail.

Muhuhahaha
    For 1/2 mile ride who cares about a department store bike. It's 1/2 mile. Get a better bike for longer rides and trail rides and use the wally for the 1/2 mile ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aridese
    I'm thinking of buying a XC Hardtail (Iron Horse Warrior Expert from rscycle.com). I ride half a mile to school on a forty-pound full suspension department-store bike pretty often, and it's not too convenient.

If I wanted to a relatively easy ride, could I replace the stock MTB tires on the Iron Horse with road slicks during the week? I'm leaning away from getting a road bike / hybrid because I might go on a trail once every several weeks; and I could just pop the stock tires back on. It's only half a mile, too.

How long would it take to replace the tires?

Lets put this into perspective. You are talking about a .5 trip. My regular pedal shuttle route has a paved 1.5 mile climb to access the downhill singletrack that we do 2-3x a ride. Your knobbies will be fine.

P.S. If you're asking this question, you're not at the level where you have to worry about side knobs folding over.

Edit- I just reread my post and I sound like a jerk. That wasn't the intention. Best to say- Juts go out and have fun riding.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

You got any chocolate?
    A half mile ride on knobby tires is nothing. It will take you longer to swap the tires than just do the ride. I know people that ride 4 or 5 miles on the road to get to a trail. The knobbies will be fine on the pavement and look at the half mile as an easy way to warm up for your trail ride.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

bang
    Quote Originally Posted by tg3895
    A half mile ride on knobby tires is nothing. It will take you longer to swap the tires than just do the ride.
    that is true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    buy kenda kozmik lite tires its really l good mtb tire 395g but its not kozmik lite 2.. its the 1st one. buy it on jensonusa really cheap for now... i ride to my work every day w/ that tire. my work is 7and half miles away but its faster to bike than drive in traffic....it takes less than 25min to get there.... but its only half mile right.....?