1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Slick / Hybrid Tires?

Ok...so I've finally started logging some regular miles on my bike. My only problem is that most of my rides have been on road because there aren't any trails close to where I live. Right now I'm running a set of Bontrager Earl 26X2.4" tires. I feel like i'm wasting a good set of knobby tires by riding on road so much.

So...what I'm wondering is if anybody has any recommendations for a good slick / hybrid tire that I can put on my stock rims?

wyrd bi ful rd
    i can recommend a good set of slicks ...

conti sport contact ...
    20080427 conti sport contact MTBR FORUM.jpg

they come in size 1.3 and 1.6 ... the 1.6 will look better on 559 rims

mtbr member
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm ruining my brand new WTB Velociraptors on my road.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I checked out those continental sport contacts online and they're pretty reasonably priced. I'll keep those in mind. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Another option is the Kenda Kwest. I run these on a spare set of wheels, and swap them on if I know I'll be commuting on paved roads.

Never worng!
    I have the Specialized Crossroads.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by GF-Opie
    So...what I'm wondering is if anybody has any recommendations for a good slick / hybrid tire that I can put on my stock rims?

Hey GFO,

Our threads are very similar. I've personally settled on Maxxis Hookworms.
    I ride a lot of street too and I'm going to be doing more Urban Assault/Freeriding
    than trail riding, but I'll keep my Bontrager Earls on a spare set of rims in case
    I want to spend a day on just trail riding. They work fine for trail riding.

I have an '07 Opie.

Here's my thread. Lot of good advice here: Tire Uprgrade for Urban Assault

My choice...Maxxis Hookworms:

But if you wanted a trail/street tire, these have a lot of fans...Maxxis Holy Rollers: