1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

SKS airchecker and tyre pressure

Hi,
    I got the SKS airchecker pressure gauge and tried it on my MTB tyre (Bontrager XR2 26*2.1 ) which has schrader valve.

The recommended pressure on tyre range is 30 - 50 PSI. I checked with the gauge and it showed 38.5 PSI. The tyre seemed to be bulging slightly in side and almost filled up. It did not seem like it could take more than little more air.

Is the gauge off by a bit or have I misunderstood something?
    I pressed the schrader end of gauge to valve at 9' o clock position for a few seconds and took the reading.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Are those tires tubeless or do you use inner tubes? Either way if a tire is not seated right it can blow off a rim long before it gets to the maximum pressure rating, and a lot of times if you see a bulge in a tire it isn't seated correctly. A tire with an inner tube can be easily be inflated to it's maximum pressure and beyond without fear of it blowing off as long as the bead is evenly seated but if you're riding off road you'll want to keep the pressure very low, often lower than the minimum recommended pressure.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Recommended by whom?

As JB Weld is saying, off-road riding benefits from really low pressures. Your tire is supposed to deform. That's why pneumatic tires were such a big deal when the guy who invented them got them figured out.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi, I was referring to the pressure range imprinted on side of the Bontrager tyre. My query is : perhaps my air pressure gauge is off the mark (showing little lower than the actual ?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    P.S : They are not tubeless tyres and do have inner tubes.

mtbr member
    Best bet is to compare the gauge to some others. Borrow some of your buddies' tire gauges, use a car tire (more volume so you can do multiple checks without the pressure fluctuating as much) and see how your gauge readings compare to the others. I have found that not all gauges are accurate, and some can be waaay off base.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: SKS airchecker and tyre pressure

Quote Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
    Hi, I was referring to the pressure range imprinted on side of the Bontrager tyre. My query is : perhaps my air pressure gauge is off the mark (showing little lower than the actual ?)
    As long as it's repeatable, it's good enough.

If you want to compare to a floor pump, use a reading you had to inflate some to get to. Pumps have a check valve that can cause them to underreport if you just stick the pump on the tire and don't pump it up.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx