1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Single Speed Conversion

Hello, new here and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas i hadnt thought up yet. Im trying to set up my schwinn alure (89) to a single speed free wheel. I was able to get a good gear ratio with good chain tension using a bmx rear cassette but my chain alignment is off and i can not space the front gear any closer to the frame because of clearance and i tried to get the back cassette to sit further away from the hub but im not getting it out far enough. Any products out there to help space that cassette out from the hub more? Im just running out of threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Maybe move the front chainring inwards, to the middle ring position, rather than try and move the rear sprocket out, this is what most people do.

There's a dedicated singlespeed forum if you want to pop over there?. Probably worth taking a picture of your setup and I'm sure someone will pop up with a good solution

nocturnal oblivion
    If it's a freewheel hub you can change the spacers on the hub itself, spacing the entire wheel over. Then you should have the wheel re-dished.
    Another option may be to go with a smaller front ring that would give more room to space the ring inward without it hitting the chainstay, then go with a smaller rear freewheel to give the same gear ratio.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe