1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    USMC

simple question...

will this http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=28524 fit on this http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1382/29355/ and why or why not.....or does it just not go at all and am dumb for thinking of it

thanks
    [SIZE="3"]"No there aint no bugs on me, there aint bugs on me, there may be bugs on some of you mugs but there aint no bugs on me!"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wouldn't be a good idea. The fork in question has twice the travel and is much longer than the fork on the Yukon. Installing that fork would throw off the geometry of the frame and the bike would not handle how you expect it to.

USMC
    hmmmmmmmmm i get the geometry part explane travel too me and could DH forks go on this bike at all thanks agian
    [SIZE="3"]"No there aint no bugs on me, there aint bugs on me, there may be bugs on some of you mugs but there aint no bugs on me!"[/SIZE]

USMC
    never mind i got travel but do they make DH forks with 4 inches of travel

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SION+FORK+2005

i think thats 7 inches of travel still to much i think idk would this work

mtbr member
    The Yukon is NOT a DH bike. It is an entry level cross country bike. You should not put anything bigger than a 100mm fork on there (4").

If you do put a 7" fork on, the bike will be heavier, slower and harder to steer.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY: The frame will break. If you ride DH with the Yukon, the frame will bend or snap, possibly hurting/killing you. You put a big fork on there and the headtube will snap clean off - over the bars you go.

Not to mention that both of those forks cost almost as much as the bike itself.

USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    Not to mention that both of those forks cost almost as much as the bike itself.
    lmfao yhea........ well give it some credit it would make at least a crappy freeride

i take what i can get cant afford a good bike so i settle for ok maby get a dh frame later on if i feel the need thanks for the help tho now i feel stupid but i learned

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It really depends on how you ride your bike as well. I wouldn't put anything with more travel than 120 mm so the bike handles properly. Do you bottom out the suspension often where you currently ride? If you only bottom out once or twice per ride, you're probably okay with the fork you have. Or are you looking to get into DH / Freeride? Whatever you do, just keep in mind what kind of riding your bike / frame was designed for. Like was mentioned a XC frame could easily break trying to land a big hit. If this happened, even the cost of a broken arm would be more than a DH or freeride bike. If I were you,as long as the stock fork is working for you, I'd save the money towards a dedicated DH bike.

USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    It really depends on how you ride your bike as well. I wouldn't put anything with more travel than 120 mm so the bike handles properly. Do you bottom out the suspension often where you currently ride? If you only bottom out once or twice per ride, you're probably okay with the fork you have. Or are you looking to get into DH / Freeride? Whatever you do, just keep in mind what kind of riding your bike / frame was designed for. Like was mentioned a XC frame could easily break trying to land a big hit. If this happened, even the cost of a broken arm would be more than a DH or freeride bike. If I were you,as long as the stock fork is working for you, I'd save the money towards a dedicated DH bike.
    seems logical to me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTYBREWS
    well give it some credit it would make at least a crappy freeride

No it won't. No matter how hard you try that will NEVER be a FR bike. Do not put over 100mm of travel on that frame or you will hurt yourself. If you sell that bike and take the money you would have spent on that fork you could get a solid used FR/DH bike..

USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    No it won't. No matter how hard you try that will NEVER be a FR bike. Do not put over 100mm of travel on that frame or you will hurt yourself. If you sell that bike and take the money you would have spent on that fork you could get a solid used FR/DH bike..

i keep getting slane i need to stop trying to know stuff and lay off the weed but u've got a point i could sell this and get a good bike well ok bike uh thats so much work or i could get a dh/fr frame and get new forks idk i am ****in broke i should work on that first

mtbr member
    well you could buy a beefyier 100mm fork like the rockshox argyle, they wont be a freeride fork but they will be stronger and hold up to abuse, they are meant for dirt jumping, skate parks, and urban riding

USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    well you could buy a beefyier 100mm fork like the rockshox argyle, they wont be a freeride fork but they will be stronger and hold up to abuse, they are meant for dirt jumping, skate parks, and urban riding
    na yo i just got off my ass and got a job imma be rideing something nice