1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Simple Green or Bicycle Simple Green?

Some books (like "The Bicycling guide to complete Bicycle Maintenance and repair) suggest that Simple Green bike cleaner may be more gentle on the bike's parts than regular all purpose Simple Green.

Do I really have to buy the bike Simple Green (which I suspect is more expensive) or can I just use the cheaper all purpose Simple Green?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I didn't realize there was a simple green for bikes. I just get the regular concentrate and mix some up when I need it. I don't think the bike one would be necessary. If you want it to be more gentle, just water it down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Simple Green "Foam" is good stuff but doesn't merit the higher price. I'd definitely dilute for "general" cleaning at a 1:12 ratio. The only time it's worth using in a stronger concentration is for heavily soiled parts (chain, cogs, etc.).

* Chain - use an empty Gatorade bottle and fill it with a 1:2 solution of Simple Green (hot water is better - breaks up the oil). . . drop dirty chain in there, cover and shake. Scrub the grit off using an old toothbrush and rinse thouroughly. Air dry for about 6-8 hours, reinstall, lube and ride. . . not only is the chain "bling-bling" but you'll notice smoother shifts too.

mtbr member
    You can buy whatever cleaner you want!! From heavy duty degreaser that we use at dealerships to light degreaser you might find at a hardware store. Just know how much to mix. To much and you can burn paint, stain crap like crazy...and so on.
    Passion Drives Life

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the regular stuff diluted, as mentioned, is fine. score yourself a sweet electric pressure washer too. you'll thank me later if you learn to use it right

mx