1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Simple Green?

mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Simple Green?

Is it ok to clean my bike with simple green after a ride? Will it damage anything?

mtbr member
    Dilute Simple Green is pretty mild. If you don't try to drown your bike in it I bet it would be fine.

Long-Haired Freak
    You should be fine. I personally use an automotive soap (same kinda stuff you would wash your car with) and water.
    Make sure you reoil your chain after you are done washing your bike.
    One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.
    - The Buddha

mtbr member
    I would never use SG on aluminum, especially anodized aluminum.

Air Force does not allow it to be used on aluminum, also
    might want to check the FAQ on SG's website. They have disclaimers
    on SG's use on anodized aluminum.

i don't give a shift
    Simple Green FAQ
    Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
    Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
    blogging at 29in.ch

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any recomendations on what we use to re-oil with?
    Thanks,

backwoods and backwards
    Prolink gold for dry conditions, Finishline wet lube for sloppy days, but everyone has thier own favorites. And when you rinse your bike never use pressure, take the nozzle off and just let the water run. Some mechs. will tell you to never use the hose on your bike, I do it only when it's been soaked anyway.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I like Boeshield Spray, it is good for chain and all joints. But that is a personal thing.

Check the MTBR reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/lube/