Thread: Silly Questions

GBD
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Silly Questions

Got some questions - relatung to what i take with me
    straight to the point:

1. i want to take extra chain - how do i know what size it is (giant boulder 09 disc) 24 speed...

2. i want to take those powerlinks things too - what will fit?

3. what is a good mini pump (i have a Giant control mini 4 < is that good?)

4 will a 26 x 1.90/2.125 tube fit a 26 x 2.10 tyre? (doesnt sound like much room for it.)

5. what is a good saddle bag (brand/size)

6. how do i know what derailleur hanger (spare) to get?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    1 & 2) What chain is currently on your bike? Establishing the manufacturer may allow you to "grovel" a few links from the bike-shop you made your purchase from. . . or you might want to buy a new 8-speed chain and save the links after installation. To the best of my knowledge, SRAM and KMC equip their chains with a "power-link". Most reputable shops will have a spare-parts bin with both extra links (of different makers) and a bunch of extra "power-links".

3) Any portable-pump is good as long as the seals on the pump are good.

4) The tube will fit.

5) I'd opt for a Camelback or similar brand. This will allow you to carry 70oz-100oz of water and all the gear you'll need on a 5+ hour ride.

6) Check wit the shop you purchased your bike at. . . they should have the item in stock. and. if they don't, they should be able to order the part. The item is usually exclusive to the manufacturer and model of bike.
    Last edited by emptybe_er; 01-15-2009 at 11:39 PM.

EDR
    Just to add to this:

1) Chain is chain as long as you get what you have (8sp or 9sp) That being said stick with the same brand. The pins are different in most cases.
    2)Powerlinks are a SRAM product and work with both Shimano and SRAM chains. Get the Powerlinks for either a 8sp or 9sp chain, whatever you have (they are differen in size).
    3)mini pumps all suck, but we all have one for emergencies. Get whatever looks good and make sure it fits you're type of valve stem (Presta or Schrader). Many will work with both types.
    4)yes
    5)saddle bag? Like the little thing you tie to your seatpost? Any one will do.
    6)see the lbs or contact the manufacturer. They are bike specific.

Members who have read this thread: 0