1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Silent freewheels

I don't know if I'm being naive or not, but are "silent freewheel hubs" commonplace these days?

Why am I asking ?

Well I may upgrade my wheels shortly (I need disc compatible wheels) and I like it when I freewheel to the sound of .................................................. .......nothing.
    None of that ClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClickClick ClickClickClickClickClick that you used to get when freewheeling.

Anyone know ?

ride hard take risks
    I belive most are quiet, havent heard a loud one in a long time.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Shimano makes (or made?) a "silent clutch" LX hub that uses a roller clutch instead of ratchet pawls. It is totally silent when coasting. They aren't available in disk-brake compatible versions though. They're pretty cheap on ebay <$30 with shipping.

I have a Chris King hub which is really loud, so I'm not sure what other hubs are quiet because all I hear when I coast is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    The only "silent hub" I've ever heard of was indeed made by Shimano. I'm pretty sure Trek uses (or used) it on their police-package bike. I don't know how good the quality is, or what kinda claims they make, but that's the only one I know that's supposedly to be silent. Check it out, if you get a chance.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

Don't touch me!
    My WTB Laserlites make little noise when on the stand. On the trail, I can't hear the freewheel through the sound of my tires on the ground. Scared too many walkers by "sneaking up" on them .
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have the silent LX hub on my commuter. It's been completely trouble free for about 8 years now. I was skeptical of its durability when I first got it but its proven itself.

On really smooth hard-packed singletrack it is nice to have that silence. It adds to the sense that you're floating. On anything rougher the sound of my tires drowned out the sound of the regular (XT and Deore) hubs on the other bikes I've owned or have ridden.