mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New question here. Shoulder/deltoids sore/ache: Is it normal?

I just started riding bike and new to mountain biking. Went to the local bike shop, did the fitting and got a mountain bike (giant talon 27.5). During trial for 10-15 minutes, the bike was fine. But after 2-3 hrs of riding in a beginners trail (really enjoyed, 7 miles!!), my shoulders/neck/deltoids are sore/aching. Is this normal? And its just that my shoulder are getting used to riding and would go away after a while.

Has anyone gone through the same?

Appreciate any info on this.

Resident Gear Head
    Yep, totally normal Your shoulders and body in general will get stronger and used to riding.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Fat-tired Roadie
    Normal-ish. Tell us about the fitting.

I have a cyclocross bike I sometimes use for 'cross racing, sometimes use for messing around on trails, and sometimes set up for pavement only. The big change, for me, is handlebar height.

Though whenever you push your limits, something is going to give.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Being a noob myself, I can tell you that it could be fitness, but you will be surprised how quickly (if you ride enough) the body starts doing better. I only get out once or twice a week and I've improved my fitness quite a bit. Each ride seems easier, my last accomplishment was 6miles w/out resting, and no more pain.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    7 miles in 2-3 hours? that seems extremely slow going,

regardless, 2-3 hours on a bike will result in neck and shoulder pain for most riders, let alone a beginner! if you got fit by a pro, i would trust them and just keep riding. also, EASE IN. you're probably better of increasing your effort over a shorter time, and saving yourself the ancillary "aches" that come with long saddle time.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    It sounds like you have too much weight on your hands; your arms aren't meant to support you for that long. Lean back a little to put more pressure on your feet. You should be able to ride comfortably with one hand if you wanted.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by jlockie View Post
    7 miles in 2-3 hours? that seems extremely slow going,
    Thanks for the advice. i know.. its pretty slow, we were resting a lot and my gf was also with me who is in the same boat (newbie) as me (she used to bike when she was young). So had to walk in some (20% of intermediate portion by looking at it, were pretty steep) parts . So, we really took it easy, resting and stuff. That is why it took us so long!!

Nevertheless, we enjoyed it and cant wait to get back!!

As you say, I will try to ease in!!

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I hope these will go away with more riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginnie View Post
    Thanks for the advice. i know.. its pretty slow, we were resting a lot and my gf was also with me who is in the same boat (newbie) as me (she used to bike when she was young). So had to walk in some (20% of intermediate portion by looking at it, were pretty steep) parts . So, we really took it easy, resting and stuff. That is why it took us so long!!

Good stuff!!! Keep it up. Soreness is normal. I like a tight cockpit cause my neck gets sore otherwise, and I'm conditioned! Also, loose hands and strong core helped a lot for me. I'd be more concerned if I had a persistent injury that didn't go away - for example I get a lot of elbow issues that persist long after rides. I'm yet to discover the source - but some of our bodies are prone to that more than others! =/

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginnie View Post

Don't feel bad about your pace at all. I was that slow when I started out also and took lots of breaks. Just have fun and the rest will come.....

Clueless Bastard
    I would only ask if the soreness feels like nerves or muscles. If it feels muscle like, it is, and you'll get stronger and more comfortable on the bike with time. If it feel like it could be nerves in your neck and then your shoulders, have it checked at your local shop. Chances are, its just your muscles being used differently than you're used to.

If you are able to ride for an hour or so a couple times a week, then maybe a 2 hour ride on the weekend, you'll be blown away by how quickly you'll improve. Listen to your body. Just take it easy, ride, have fun.