1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Shoulda been the FIRST mod!

TIRES!!! Wow, I had no idea. I've been riding on my factory tires that came with my Specialized Hardrock for 2 years now. They've started to become a little worn, so I decided to shell out the money for new ones. Bought the Velociraptors. These things are insane. The grip is beyond what I expected, especially when climbing steep grades with loose gravel and leaves. They didn't even flinch. I can make it up grades that were impossible with the factory tires.
    Before, I would limit my speed around corners as I would begin to slide. Now, my fatass can't lean into the corner enough to go any faster. My nerves are now what holds me back instead of the traction.
    If I had known, I would've replaced the factory tires with these the day I bought the bike. Hopefully this will convince the newbs to invest in tires much sooner than I did.

Next mod: replace the crappy fork!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I will give factory tires a fair chance as some are not bad, my bike came with Racing Ralphs. I rode them for 2-3 weeks then the front tire washed out and put me down, front replaced with a Captain control, happy to say I havent lost the front tire since. Gave the Ralph another chance on the back, it slide out on a easy corner when i was flying and jiust about tossed me over a cliff, last day that was on the bike. Running a Maxxis cross mark on the back now, wicked tire.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    1st upgrade, try running lower psi.

2nd upgrade... yep, tires are a significant upgrade if your stock tires are not suited to the riding you do.

here's a deal on schwalbes. I run 26x2.3" hasdampf up front, 2.2" racing ralph in the back. Pacestars.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...de-816053.html

Fork will also give you higher performance if you have the low tier stuff.

Boracay Island
    Apr 2013
    I give a +1 to @bob13bob People underestimate lowering the psi. Having the right amount of air in your tires will make or break your ride.

Some factory tires aren't bad at all. My bike came with Rocket Rons and its awesome. When the time came that I had to replace my tire, I still went with Rocket Rons. When choosing a tire, its best to select the one which will marry with your riding style.
    Some people ride in mud while some in loose over hardpack. In my case, I ride on hardpack and once in a while on loose over hard that's why I'm happy with my factory tires
    Let's Ride!