1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Should I keep this frame?

Hey all, I'm new to the scene, been riding for about a year now. I bought a Jamis Dakar (04) last season on eBay to take to Egypt with me while I was deployed. A couple months ago I noticed a small hairline crack on the headtube (thats the place where the fork gets mounted right?) about 1-2 cm. I had planned to upgrade the bike when I came home. My question is, are cracks like these repairable? I bought the bike on eBay, so any warranty claims are out of the question. Could it be welded shut? Or should I just cut my losses and get a good setup from an authorized dealer and start from there? Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    dont ride it in that condition, it'll just get worse, and eventually will break.

i dont think its repairable too, so you're best bet is to get a new frame

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you liked the frame get a hold of Jamis, they might cut you a discount on a replacement.

ride hard take risks
    Yup Jeep_Nut has the right idea, call Jamis & explain the problem & where it happended just like you did here. They are awsome people & i'm shure they will do something to help you.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/contact/index.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for your help guys.

You really think they'd work with me even though I got the bike on eBay and have no warranty? That would be really cool if they did. I liked the frame, though if I were to go with them again, I would probably get the XLT. Or a Kona Dawg.

Another question: the chain has slapped up the drive side chainstay and now its all nicked up. Is this normal? I see that some people have lizardskin type neoprene sleeves for their chainstays. Should I have done that? Other bikes I see have polished/reinforced chainstays on the drive side, so they dont get all nicked up. Do the nicks affect the structural integrity of the bike? I'd imagine it affects the value of the bike. It looks ugly!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Chainstays get eaten up and there are plenty of ways to protect it (Lizzard Skin, stick on plastic thing, black tape you name it). While it looks bad, I think they are made to handle it.

As far as contacting Jamis and telling them the whole story, whats to loose? People buy used bikes all the time, its no different if its from a bike shop (used), a friend, a yard sale or Ebay. Maybe they will give you a discount, maybe not - it is worth a try.

ride hard take risks
    If they do help you they will possibly give you a deal on a upgrade but if you ask for a Dawg your going to get punted to the curb. Always put something on the chainstay, it's quieter to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well I emailed Jamis, I'll keep you posted on what their response is!

Thanks all!

ride hard take risks
    Awsome, if they give you a hard time tell them the MTBR gang is commin over with Guido.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey all,

Jamis sent me a quick email and informed me that I could get a "crash replacement" frame at a discount. All I have to do is contact a dealer when I get back to the states! Thanks for your advice, and I cant wait to get back on the trails again!

Jojo