1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Should I get my son a BMX or a Mountain Bike

I have been taking my son Mountain biking with me every saturday morning and he loves it. He is 8 years old and is using a cheap department store BMX.

I would like to get him a decent bike, but I am not sure to get him a good bmx or a single speed mountain bike. I was thinking a BMX would be lighter.

My budget is around $250

Any suggestions

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Maybe look at a 24 inch wheeled BMX single speed bike, talk to a local bike shop. I think DK does a 24 inch bike, that would keep it simple, bomb-proof, and affordable - plus, the 24 inch wheels are gonna roll a lot better than standard 20 inch wheels. He might not be ready for a 26 inch bike with a transmission just yet, a complicated bike or one that's too big could cause frustration and crashes. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had a 24" Giant mountain bike when I was that age. It was a fully rigid 1x5 transmission and from what I remember, not too heavy. The bike held up well, after I outgrew it the LBS was able to find a buyer.