1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Should I get a different bike?

I am currently riding a 2012 giant trance. I have recently become more interested in bike park riding and enduro racing, and some lighter downhill trails. I'm wondering whether I should put any money into upgrading what I have or if it would be better to sell my bike and get something with longer travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trance is perfectly capable of riding what you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you plan to go beyond the 'lighter' downhill trails, you should think about something a bit burlier, with more travel and more relaxed angles.

Where are you planning to ride it specifically? That can tell a lot. "Expert Only" DH trails at certain places can be quite a bit easier to manage than "Intermediate", or even "Beginner" rated trails at others. I can think of lift access mountains where you could have a good time riding that bike on the majority of trails, where at others, I would highly recommend you leave it home and rent a big bike instead.

Terrain dictates a ton when it comes to bike choice. Style matters too - lots of air and big BMX-y jumps and berms, or steep and nasty technical, falling out of the sky into a pile of rocks type riding...etc etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you really get into riding more aggressive terrain and enjoy that riding, keep your Trance to pedal and look at a dedicated DH bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm in Salt Lake and I want to get a pass next summer at the Canyons, I ride just about anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That place looks awesome. Seems like they've got a lot of similar terrain to a place in our neck of the woods called Highland Mtn. You're gonna want something burlier than the Trance for having the best time there IMO. Something 7" travell-ish, or even a shorter travel 'slopestyle' type rig if you want it to ride more 'poppy'.

If you can sometime, take out one of their rentals for a day and get an idea of what a full-on DH rig feels like. The tough thing about a bike heavily geared towards DH is they're limited in their general usefulness for trail riding. But if you've got good regular access to lift riding and that's what you're looking to do mostly, there's not much that's more fun available on the planet than repeatedly bombing down a mountain on a bike made specifically for it.

I know people will always say that you have to spend a boatload of money for a decent DH bike, but it's not really the case in my experience. Mountain bikes in general depreciate quickly. DH bikes are probably the best example. There are tons of smoking deals on nice 4-5 year old weekend warrior rigs out there to be had.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A friend of mine has a Trance and all he did was change the stock tires with wider ones. He manages to stick with the rest of the group who all ride all mountain bikes riding mid to tough technical singles with some gnarly drops here and there. I, on the other hand ride a fairly stock standard Element 950 and feel that the singles the group rides takes my bikes AM capabilities to the max.

Bottom line, he's happy with his Trance on the tougher singles but had to change tires after bursting the stock tire on a rock edge.
    At maximum i would say, yes, get another bike but don't get rid of your Trance, best of both worlds! If you can't have both, (i'm no expert, simply based on our weekend rides) your Trance should be fine.

Mike

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    How much do you weigh, OP? As someone who weighs 135 lbs with a 2009 Trance X3, I don't weigh enough to blow through it's 5 inches of travel very easily. I've taken it to my local lift park (Big Bear's Snow Summit here in Socal), and it handled fine.

Heed what people say about this thing's pedaling abilities. Last year I bought a 2012 Santa Cruz Heckler, which is a 6 inch bike. It's better than the Trance for descents, but is harder to pedal by comparison.

Also google "trance with 140mm fork" - might give you the happy medium you're looking for. I did this with my Trance, and boy did it change it.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuarte View Post
    How much do you weigh, OP? As someone who weighs 135 lbs with a 2009 Trance X3, I don't weigh enough to blow through it's 5 inches of travel very easily. I've taken it to my local lift park (Big Bear's Snow Summit here in Socal), and it handled fine.

Heed what people say about this thing's pedaling abilities. Last year I bought a 2012 Santa Cruz Heckler, which is a 6 inch bike. It's better than the Trance for descents, but is harder to pedal by comparison.

Also google "trance with 140mm fork" - might give you the happy medium you're looking for. I did this with my Trance, and boy did it change it.
    I am 6 ft 2 and weigh about 195

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb3259 View Post
    I am 6 ft 2 and weigh about 195
    Well, I can't give much advice for setting up a Trance based on your weight, but just from observation, modern "enduro" racing is done more often on all mountain bikes, which is one category up from the Trance's "trail bike" category, so take that for what it's worth.

I hate talking about bike categories, because they are so fickle and change with the years. Get comfortable with what you ride, try different bikes when you get a chance, and decide then.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb3259 View Post
    I'm in Salt Lake and I want to get a pass next summer at the Canyons, I ride just about anything.
    Pros can ride any bike on any trail. If you're not a pro then you have to make your own decision as to how comfortable you feel with what you ride where you ride. Personally my bike (Yeti ASR7 with a 160mm fork) gets a little twitchy for me at the speeds I need to clear the jumps on Rally Cat but there's plenty of people who would rock that line on a hardtail. It's all about your comfort level. If the Trance is treating you well then rock it. If you wonder if you're missing out then throw down a few bucks to demo some bikes and see for sure. The long travel AM bikes are pretty amazing for enduro and resort riding but the Trance is no slouch.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?