1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Should I get any special type of tube?

Hey guys. So after having my new Haymaker 1500 for only a week or so, and riding only a few days, I have a flat.

I went to leave for work this morning just to find out that my front tire is flat from yesterdays ride. Im figuring it was just a thorn or something like that because there was no immediate loss of pressure and it had to have lost air over night, none the less I have to either repair it or get a new tube. Other then the size, is there anything special you guys recommend in terms of what kind of tube to get?

What could go wrong ...
    it depends ... are your rims drilled for Presta or Schrader valves?

or you could just try and patch the tube
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To be honest with you, I dont know. Im still very new to the whole bike scene. How do I tell that? Im took the model number (or what I think is the model number) from the rims and am searching for that info right now, but I dont see that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Schrader valves are like the ones on cars.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok thanks, then I definitely have schrader. So as long as I get a schrader tube Im good, or do you guys recommend a certain brand or anything like that?

local trails rider
    Just get a size that is close to your tyre size. Most tubes come with recommendations for tyre size. Don't get superextra light tubes.

Get a patch kit too and patch the one that got the flat. Then use that as your spare.

Find out the cause. See where exactly the puncture is (tread/side/spoke side of tube) Make sure there's nothing left in tyre or rim that could lead to a new puncture.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Tire and Tube Removal and Installaton

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Inner Tube Repair

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Fat-tired Roadie
    I totally misread your title.

I was going to say Astroglide.

I usually hang onto my bad tubes. When I have half a dozen of them, I patch them all at once. When you think about what half a dozen tubes cost, and how long it takes to fix them, especially all at the same time and in the comfort of your own home, you pay yourself quite a lot doing this.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    First thing you do when you get a flat is take the tube out of the tire, inflate it, and find the leak. This will tell you what is going on. Hole on the top side/side is the thorn/shard of glass. Hole on the underside means your rim strip may be damaged or not covering the spoke holes. If it is the thorn/glass-type issue, then check your tire at the location of the hole and see if there is something still in the tire. This is one of the reasons why you always put the tire on with the label on the sidewall at the valve stem - as a point of reference. I would just patch it if you can, get a regular glue-type patch kit not the glueless type. Just get the same tube as you had (presta or shrader); the size is written on the tube (26x1.95-2.125 etc.). The standard run-of-the-mill $6 tube is all you need.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Hole on the top side/side is the thorn/shard of glass. Hole on the underside means your rim strip may be damaged or not covering the spoke holes.
    ... and hole, maybe double hole, at the edge of rim is a "snakebite" or "pinch flat": tube pinched between rim and something angular that you went over.

It can also happen that the valve has a problem and leaks slowly. Sometimes the internals of the valve can be loose.

Probably, this is not a shredded tyre and tube sidewall, caused by riding too close to a sharp rock or similar.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I am being told that Presta is the way to go. So when I bought my spare I went with it. Then when I replace the spare (which I hope to not have to) then I will get another Presta spare. Heard advantage is with the lock on it, less of a chance of air leaking out. Keeping air in tube, is a good thing, so I just said OK I will take one....lol
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

College Boy
    Well make sure you get a valve that works with your rim. Now if you get slim tubes or not depends on your area you ride in.
    Where I used to ride yeah I would use slim tubes since the area was covered in thorns and after a ride I would often times be pulling out some. Now where I ride I just carry a spare normal tube with me since it is pretty rare to get a thorn and pinch flats is what put holes in the tube and in that case slim is worthless. After a year I finally got a hole in the tube.

As a rule what I do when I ride is carry at least 1 spare tube on me and if I get a flat I replace the tube with the spare and put the other one in my camelbak to be patch and then be used as a spare tube. Back before slim I had some tubes that had 3-4 patches in them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the info you guys. I'm at the store to pick up a patch kit and a new tub. Now on the new tube box it says it fits 26" x 1.75-2.125". My tire says 26x21.1. Is it safe to assume that the new tube will fit fine?

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's fine.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah for sure Slime Smart Tube Schrader Valve