1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Should I Buy an Old Dual Susp. or a New Hardtail?

My budget is about $500-$600 max, so I could either afford a new entry level hardtail or a dual suspension from 2001 or earlier on craigslist. I don't know which would be better; how far behind are the old dual suspensions? If I bought an old bike I would probably upgrade the forks and add disc brakes. Is there anything I should look out for when buying a used bike besides the obvious? If I do buy used, what are some good old ds bikes?
    Thanks, Nick

I4NI
    There's nothing like new but what kind of bike(s) are we talking about?
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    There's nothing like new but what kind of bike are we talking about?
    Well for a new bike something like a gt avalanche disc 3.0, and for used a 1999 specialized stumpjumper fsr or similar bike. I'm not limited to those bikes; there are other options out there.

mtbr member
    $600 max I'd go with the new hardtail. Used bikes aren't a bad deal if they're in decent shape, but if you have to start replacing forks or the drivetrain soon after buying it, it's probably not cost effective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post
    $600 max I'd go with the new hardtail. Used bikes aren't a bad deal if they're in decent shape, but if you have to start replacing forks or the drivetrain soon after buying it, it's probably not cost effective.
    Well, the stumpjumper is in good shape, and it's $400, but no one really likes the rockshox judy forks.

Professional Speed Bump
    If you can push your budget a bit...you can get something like this: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...519664581.html

If it fits, of course. Looks like it's for someone 6 ft +.

Professional Speed Bump
    Titus Racer-X: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2530121107.html

Looks like there's a few good full suspension bikes around your area...especially this one.

If they fit...that is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go New hardtail. 12 year old components no matter what level are still 12 year old components. Suspension technology from that era are nowhere near where they are today. You will be frustrated with stuff constantly breaking or needing replaced on the used bike.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeRoaster View Post
    Go New hardtail. 12 year old components no matter what level are still 12 year old components. Suspension technology from that era are nowhere near where they are today. You will be frustrated with stuff constantly breaking or needing replaced on the used bike.
    Agree, new or even a couple year old hardtail that's used would be better than buying an old FS bike. Pivots and links get old and start to cause headaches, I would just skip it and go hardtail.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Id suggest going new because of the benefits of having the LBS being there to help you out with any adjustments you may need for the new ride. Personally it seems like every time I go for a ride, I need to take it back to the shop for some type of minor tune up so I for me its a not even a question. good luck on your decision.

mtbr member
    id go used hardtail for best value.

banned
    Aug 2011
    use hardtail if you are at that budget