1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Should I buy this?

Giant Hybrid ,Large Frame ,21", Hydraulic Disc Brakes West Shore: Langford,Colwood,Metchosin,Highlands, Victoria

I'm looking for a hybrid. Basically, this bike doesn't seem to have any name or anything on it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What to look for in a bike?

If I meet the person and look at the bike, what faults/damage/fake parts should I look for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What are you intending to use the bike for? It seems this one is setup for touring/commuting-- such that it's got the bells and whistles intended for that purpose. Just looking at it from the post, it does not seem like too bad of a deal. As far as components go, they will all be entry level for bikes like this. Any Shimano/Sram components will be fine for a commuter/hybrid. The avid brakes are decent entry level brakes. You'll probably want to test ride it before pulling the trigger. See if it fits you and how it feels. Try shifting and see how smoothly it shifts. It's tough to judge how a bike will work for you before you see and test ride it. If you think this one fits you and will work for your intended use then by all means, buy it.
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Normally a 21" frame fits a 6'3" or taller rider. Ask him for the serial number on the bottom of the bike crank area. Then you can track it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just bought it.

I've been looking for a commuter bike. I saw this one and I jumped the gun.

Smooth drivetrain.

Coming from an xc bike with 2.5' tires, these skinny tires really hurt the turns. I feel really really unsafe turning on a slow speed.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Also, its my first rigid bike, and I didn't expect it to be this uncomfortable. How much does a cheap suspension seatpost help?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Or one of those saddles with springs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A nice quality saddle swap should fix it. I am not sure about springs-- makes sense on a cruiser but don't see how that would work on a commuter/hybrid. If you are new to rigid commuters it will take some adjustment but it really is not so bad specially when you're picking speed on roads. Suspension is unnecessary on commuter it is less about comfort and more about getting from point A to B efficiently. Take it on a few rides and see how you adjust. Change the saddle and maybe get some bar ends, adjust the stem to tweak it for your preference. Experiment on which configuration is comfortable. Enjoy!
    I'm hard yet soft, I am coloured yet clear, I am fruity and sweet. I am jelly. What am I?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tqbf View Post
    Just bought it.

I've been looking for a commuter bike. I saw this one and I jumped the gun.

Smooth drivetrain.

Coming from an xc bike with 2.5' tires, these skinny tires really hurt the turns. I feel really really unsafe turning on a slow speed.
    Sweet! Congrats man, it's a solid bike. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Please make sure you wear your safety gear. Saw a guy today riding a Schwinn cruiser on the service road wearing a wife beater, shorts & flip flops. Made me shudder.

I'd rather be on my bike
    That's a pretty decent score there. Skip the suspension, you will get adjusted to the rigid ride. I had the same issue coming from 2 full suspension XC bikes.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1398/2500

mtbr member
    May 2014
    So I've been riding it and its pretty nice. Frame is really sleek and stiff.

The slimness of it all doesn't feel to assuring. I enjoyed the substantial feel of an xc bike. These go fast effortlessly. Tires are really skinny. Going at very slow speeds (the way I'd be able to on my mtb with 2.5'' tires) and taking narrow turns feels really unstable. I might get wider tires if I don't get used to these ones, but I'll give these a try for a bit, see if I can get used to them.

Do you guys think its possible to identify what the bike is? Its a Giant Hybrid thats somewhere 3-8 years old.

I'd rather be on my bike
    The transition takes a while from mtb to a hybrid or road bike, especially if you have only ridden an mtb. What size are the tires on there? 700x??
    2014 miles - 1398/2500

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    The transition takes a while from mtb to a hybrid or road bike, especially if you have only ridden an mtb. What size are the tires on there? 700x??
    700c, I believe.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Its still very uncomfortable how slim the whole bike is.

So generally speaking, I won't be going too fast. Ever. Will a wider tire (touring tire?) help me make narrower turns?

Coming from my mtb, I've already made a few bad estimates of what lines I can pull off (on the sidewalk) and I can't make narrow turns. Also, cycling slow doesn't feel right. Maybe because the center of gravity is much higher.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. The only upgrades I'm considering are:
    1) tires
    2) a kickstand (cos i want one)
    3) after I save up a bit, either a suspension seatpost or a 700c suspension fork (suntour makes a few).
    4) a saddle, if I find this one to be uncomfortable (i'm giving myself some time to get used to it.).

I'd rather be on my bike
    What do the tires say? 700 x ?

I never suggest to anyone that they ride on the sidewalk. Road if possible, and if not possible, another route if possible.

The upright position is probably what is throwing you off in comparison to your mtb. You will adjust to this the more you ride it.
    2014 miles - 1398/2500