1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Should i attempt to replace BB ?

My sons 2012 B-Twin Rockrider 8.1 mtb has play in the Shimano Deore M590 22x32x44 crankset.The BB is Shimano BB51 Deore Outboard Bearing Bottom Bracket Set which only costs 10. He took it to the LBS and was quoted 25 to replace it but theres a 10 day wait. I've never attempted to replace a BB before. Would you advise we do it ourselves and pay out for the tools ( how much and what tools are essential ) or do we save ourselves the hassle and pay the LBS although i would rather do it ourselves as its good to know these things.

mtbr member
    Decide yourself. I can't link to the Park tools site at the moment.

Workshop: Replacing Shimano, Truvativ or FSA bottom brackets a little confusing they explain how to to two types of cranksets but it gives you the idea.

X-Tools BB Tool Hollowtech II - Spanner Fitting

Shimano Deore Bottom Bracket Set BB51
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 08-27-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If the play is side to side have you tried tightening the crankset? Loosen the pinch bolts on the non drive side. Use a 6" C clamp and 2 paint sticks as scratch protection to get a little pressure on the assembly and retighten. You can also clean and grease the bearings. Use the middle of a thin blade knife to pry lightly around the outer edge of the plastic cover and the inner edge of the bearing cover to get access. New bearings often are missing enough grease on the non drive side.