mtbr member

Should have I stopped or taken the plunge?

The other day, I was biking in a trail. I was about to go down a difficult hill (for me) until I saw 2 bikers coming up it. They were on the line I was going to take, so at the top, I stopped by the right side. They saw me as well and continued to go up it. Unfortunately, the line they had to take on their right, was very difficult and each biker fell. I prevented them from taking the easier line, since I blocked it. Once they cleared my line, I continue down the hill. I did apologize. I'm not sure what the normal protocal is, but was I correct in waiting? Or should have I stepped back more to allow them to take the best line to make it up the hill? I'm assuming that if we both went, being a difficult hill, that if either of us would have lost control that we would have ended up crashing into each other.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Probably drunk right now

Stuff happens....

Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    The other day, I was biking in a trail. I was about to go down a difficult hill (for me) until I saw 2 bikers coming up it. They were on the line I was going to take, so at the top, I stopped by the right side. They saw me as well and continued to go up it. Unfortunately, the line they had to take on their right, was very difficult and each biker fell. I prevented them from taking the easier line, since I blocked it. Once they cleared my line, I continue down the hill. I did apologize. I'm not sure what the normal protocal is, but was I correct in waiting? Or should have I stepped back more to allow them to take the best line to make it up the hill? I'm assuming that if we both went, being a difficult hill, that if either of us would have lost control that we would have ended up crashing into each other.
    Sounds to me like you made an honest effort. If you're aware of the easier line, you might have been able to move out of the way but I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it.

Unless a trail is specifically marked otherwise, the uphill rider generally has the right of way over a descending rider because it's easier for a downhill rider to start again after stopping/slowing.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Sounds to me like you made an honest effort. If you're aware of the easier line, you might have been able to move out of the way but I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it.

Unless a trail is specifically marked otherwise, the uphill rider generally has the right of way over a descending rider because it's easier for a downhill rider to start again after stopping/slowing.
    Agreed, you did OK. However, I do generally try to get off the trail if possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Common trail courtesy is that uphill riders have the right of way. You did the right thing. You can't predict which side of the trail they want to go on so that's no fault of yours.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Thanks. I just didn't want to be remember as the A$S_hole that prevented them from going up the hill.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

What does a bean mean?!
    I agree with everyone else. Don't worry, you weren't an azzhole. Plus it's not like that was their only shot at it. If they wanted to try the other line, then there's nothing to stop them from trying again once you're outta the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    you tried... that's good...

mtbr member
    As in most other cases, the principal of "treat others as you would like to be treated by them yourself" would apply here. You could simply ask yourself, "what would I have wanted/expected from the rider waiting at the top, if I were the one climbing there?" The best possible course of action would be in the answer you give to that question.

Having said that, you clearly were thinking along the right lines (no pun intended), and it shouldn't count against you that you could've done even better but didn't. You'll do better next time...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You did right to let them go. Each situation is different but if you stop then to the degree possible get off the trail. They likely had a split second to pick a line and even if you had of moved completely off they probably would have taken the line they did....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you have stopped why didnt you let them pass before going?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    You did right, you stopped. You could have done better in retrospect by clearing the easier line for them. But hey, hind sight is 20/20 after all. You made a very minor mistake that's all. Next time just make sure you clear the easier line. When I stop to allow an uphill rider to go by I usually try to clear the trail completely if possible. That way, if there are multiple lines, they have their choice. Like the others have said, not a big deal. Just be mindful in the future.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Luck of the draw. You yielded to the uphill riders which was nice. Next time you know that your right is a better place to pull over. No biggie, it' s all part of the ride.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post
    Try reading it again
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    You had good intentions. That said: Stopping in the middle of the good line right at the top of a climb is pretty goofy IMO. Uphill rider ALWAYS has right of way. Get out of the damn way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anekin007 View Post

Survey says....... "Try reading the original post before commenting"
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

unless you're on a cliff or next to a wall, there should have been some way for you to step one foot off the trail and drag your bike with you to clear whatever line the uphill riders wanted to choose.

although it's not the worst thing in the world....it sort of sucks to be forced into a crappy line by someone standing on the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Chuck Norris woulda bunny-hopped em 8-P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    unless you're on a cliff or next to a wall, there should have been some way for you to step one foot off the trail and drag your bike with you to clear whatever line the uphill riders wanted to choose.

although it's not the worst thing in the world....it sort of sucks to be forced into a crappy line by someone standing on the trail.
    Well, there was sort of a wall, there were trees and bushes. But I had thought about it, at the point we saw each other, they already chose a line. Even if I moved, they would have had a harder time transition from one side of the hill, to the other. If they were that skilled, then they would have definitely made it up the top of the hill. Besides, even if I moved back, they won't be able to see me. They probably don't know if I just stepped back far enough for them to not see or if I moved 100 feet back.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    If they had wanted the other line, they would have taken it, you would have seen them take it, and you would have had time to move off, right? So no worries.