1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Shoes For Platform Pedals

I am using platform pedals with tennis shoes. The shoes are some old ones that dont have much tread left on the soles. So, I tend to lose my pedals at the worst times. I read somewhere that skate shoes work well on bikes.Does anyone else ride with skate shoes or is there something else I should look for. With all the sales going on today, I am hoping to get a good deal on some .

Chamois Dropper
    Look into Five Tens, I ride with Impacts or Freeriders. These are a MTB specific platform pedal shoe. They will lock onto a good set of pedals very well and the stiffness of the sole really cuts down on fatigue, IMO. Skate shoes will work but I feel like they are way too flexible.
    This is a great deal if they have your size:
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Spitfire Shoe
    They have Impacts as well :
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Impact 2 Low Shoes
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Five Tens!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Look into Five Tens, I ride with Impacts or Freeriders. These are a MTB specific platform pedal shoe. They will lock onto a good set of pedals very well and the stiffness of the sole really cuts down on fatigue, IMO. Skate shoes will work but I feel like they are way too flexible.
    This is a great deal if they have your size:
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Spitfire Shoe
    They have Impacts as well :
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Five Ten Impact 2 Low Shoes
    Thats a good sale on the spitfire but not in my size. The Impact is in my size but I always worry about buying shoes without trying on first or at least know how the sizes run. Maybe I can find some local. Thanks for the links.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you buy them from Zappos or Amazon it's free returns so you wouldn't be out anything. You can find a size chart at Five Ten's website. I've been debating between these and Teva Links, as my foot runs very narrow with a high arch.

No Stranger to danger....
    High heels, moonboots and moccasins are all good choices...
    But if you cant get any of those id say 5.10 impacts low cuts.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My feet are a little bit wide and on foot is bigger than the other. There is enough difference that I notice it when trying to find shoes and work boots. I dont know much, but I do know that geting shoes that fit properly and comfortable is really important.

Chamois Dropper
    For what it's worth, I wear a size 12 in Vans and a 12 in Five Tens. They seem to be pretty true to size, as I wear a 12 in almost everything. Like someone else posted, Zappos has a great return policy. I think they even give you a free return shipping label with them.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone ever used the Five Ten Red Baron shoe? I found a pair on Amazon at a good price but only one review on it. The guy did give it 5 stars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Watch this video and practice a little.--
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Now you won't need anything more than trailrunners to stay stuck to ordinary flats with cast pins until you get a DH bike. Try to find something with forefoot gel and mesh for the hot season. Asics has worked well this season. Lighter and cooler than the Freerides I still haven't worn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have never heard anything about keeping your heels down. I will give that a go next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That;s the whole deal to platforms.
    Here's his solution to staying in corners.
    Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    He shows a slaloming technique of moving from foot to foot to snake along a road to practice. But this takes a few more steps with 30-50 repeats per step.
    After the first flat segment move the practice to a paved hill. Then steeper with braking and then repeat on grassy hills.

Cow Clicker
    Zappos is amazing about making sure you have the right size shoes. I will not buy shoes from anywhere else - ever after how they took care of me with my last pair of 5.10s
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Picture Unrelated
    Best would be a bike specific shoe made for platform pedals but a skate shoe is also acceptable if you have decent pedals. If you don't have decent pedals right now, save your money on buying expensive bike specific shoes and spend on pedals.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?