1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Shocks Question

mtbr member

Shocks Question

I have a set of Tora Shocks that came on my GF Tassajara. I noticed that on the bottom of the shock there is a dial that causes the rebound to either be fast or slow, at least thats what I believe it is for. My question is if there is a correct setting for the type of terrain your riding or is it a preference thing. Ive been trying to logically think it through as to when you would use fast or slow rebound but I can see it both ways. Any advice?

ride hard take risks
    A good starting point for the rebound would be to set it so when the fork is coming back up almost as fast as your arms after you compress it. From there you can adjust it for the trails you ride.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Easiest way to set the rebound on a fork is just put it in the middle and go from there. If it is too slow, you will stack up, meaning that the fork will not have enough time to fully extend before hitting the next impact. Too fast of rebound will have you bouncing off of stuff. Most forks work well when the rebound dial is just set in the middle.

Rebound speed also is determined by the type of trails you are riding. If you have a lot of rock gardens, you might want the rebound to be on the faster side because you want the fork to be able to extend before hitting the next rock. If you are on smooth fire roads, a bit slower could be nice so that when you do hit the ocasional rock or jump on the side of the trail, you dont get kicked off of it.

As far as letting it come up and be as fast as your arms... Everyones arms are different and no offense, but I dont thing that would be a good way to measure it.

There are all kinds of opinions on adjustments, the only way to really find out is to do it yourself. Try dialing your rebount all the way fast and ride it a while, then try it all the way slow, just to get the feel of things and what kind of impact it has.