1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Shimano or SRAM?

I need some help distinguishing which is better. I'm familiar with a lot of Shimano products but have never heard of SRAM. Can anyone fill me in; are they good or bad? advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackDemon
    I need some help distinguishing which is better. I'm familiar with a lot of Shimano products but have never heard of SRAM. Can anyone fill me in; are they good or bad? advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks.
    You should really do a search on this subject. The answer is way too long and everyone has their preference. Which is better? Ask 100 people and you will get about a pretty even percentage of folks who will say one or the other. ME??? for the XT level components (shimano reference) I much prefer SRAM X.9. Notacably crisper, more precise shifts (rear der. anyhow) over XT.

SRAM uses a shifter that has 2 thumb paddles instead of one thumb and one forefinger (trigger).

I could go on and on but won't. USE THE SEARCH, LUKE....

local trails rider
    I do not think that either Shimano or SRAM is "better", when talking about shifters and deraileurs. I DO think that they are different.

I PREFER SRAM's thumb shifters. Also, I think that Shimano has such a strong position in bicycle parts that a bit of competition is a good thing.

ride hard take risks
    Flip a coin. I like Shimano derailleurs & Sram cassetts & chains. Sram has really cool carbon & machined aluminum components. The new Shimano '07 is pimp. Oh i'm getting confused

Formerly DMR For Life
    I prefer Sram RD's, Triggers, cassettes...I prefer Shinamo's FD's, and Chains...as far as i'm concerned its a personal preference thing
    DMR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I used Shimano's XT, XTR, and SRAMS's X-9. I prefer the X-9s more than the XTRs. It shift really fast and clean!. .

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    I've used Shimano almost exclusively since I've started biking. Some people complain that they use proprietary parts, so you can't swap out for something else. While it's a pain, I don't necessarily see it as a terrible thing. Can you put a set of Ford headers on your Nissan?

Anyway, I've ridden with SRAM components on a friend's bike, and didn't really notice a difference once I'd gotten used to them. For my money, I just got the XTR HollowTech 2 cranks and Dual-Action Shifters. SOOOOOO sweet! Pretty intuitive, too, once you get the hang of it.

*shrug* Hope I helped.

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

No good in rock gardens..
    SRAM triggers. (X9)

I hate Shimano Rapid Rise.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

banned
    Sep 2005
    SRAM X.0/X.9 gets my vote as pick of the litter.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    I'm using SRAM X.7 and no faults here. Has anyone tried between the X.7 and X.9? Is there a significant difference?
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

banned
    Sep 2005
    I think the only difference is a different housing, lighter weight and a few more metal parts instead of plastic.

Bike to the Bone...
    I think it's a preference thing, and also local support.

Shimano is very good, SRAM makes some things work different, both are very reliable and good. I would like to try SRAM stuff, but I have 2 issues to do so:

1. In Mexico, it's harder to find SRAM stuff, so going Shimano makes replacement easier.
    2. I have Shimano integrated shifters, so it makes replacing them for SRAM stuff costly.

About being propietary, in a way, so is SRAM. I can't put a SRAM pulley on a Shimano RD if it breaks, but that's the other way around. I'm not aware of a 3rd party that you could swap stuff from it and SRAM.

Ok, Shimano wants to make you build your whole bike Shimano (ask SRAM about the same ). What I find is that if you go center-lock and dual-control, you have a great system, but if you want to try something else you find your wedlocked to shimano stuff....

mtbr member

Sram

Quote Originally Posted by silentak1
    I'm using SRAM X.7 and no faults here. Has anyone tried between the X.7 and X.9? Is there a significant difference?
    I got 2 bikes running.One X-9,hollow pin chain,upper end Sram cassette.The other(all mountain)bike with X-7,a notch down on chain and cassette.I can't tell any difference.Depends on which one is cleaner.I would assume the X-9 might last longer(more miles).And I love twist shifters.Half pipes.