1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Shimano-Deore-ST-M590

Would you consider these to be an upgrade or a downgrade versus the current ones I have which are Shimano Deore RapidFire SL?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fat-tired Roadie
    About the same. But kind of a stupid purchase, IMHO. Separate shifters and brake levers let you play with position on the handlebars and angle, and if you want to get nicer shifters or nicer brake levers later, or change to a totally different brake system, you don't have to replace the other thing at the same time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    nice thing about separate brake levers is that u can run then a tad loose so when u crash they will pivot down instead of possible breaking. Just my 2cents
    I am selling an 08 Recon 351 for sale. PM if interested. 7-1/2'' Steerer Tube

T.W.O
    It's neither an upgrade nor a downgrade. They are pretty much the same thing like Andrew said, except they are integrated which means a waste of money from what your current set up is.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)