1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Shimano Deore M510 Crankset...New Derailur or chain?

So im getting the Shimano Deore M510 Crankset for my blackcomb and i was wondering if ill HAVE to change my derailer or chain...i understand it will make it better but i jus need a new crank for now any and all help is apriciated... thanx... also if anyone knows a way i can find out weather my Blackcomb is a square or Octalink or can tell me that be great to....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What's wrong with the crankset?

You won't need a new der. Many people would change the chain and freewheel. They are likely worn if the the chain rings are worn. You may also need a new bottom bracket for the deore crankset - different cranks require different spindle lengths.

I would imagine it's square taper. You may be able to see the beginning of the taper if you look at the spindle (bottom bracket axle) between the crank arms and the bb shell. Otherwise, unscrew one of the crankarm bolts and look. Counter-clockwise to loosen on the drive side (chain rings). Clockwise to loosen the other side. Google Images "square taper" and "octalink" to compare.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    its a square i did jus that removed crank arm bolts and its clearly square thanx... now i jus need to figure out how to tell if the BB will fit or if i need a new one if i do need a new one what size do i need or how do i figure it out?

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by posey24 View Post
    its a square i did jus that removed crank arm bolts and its clearly square thanx... now i jus need to figure out how to tell if the BB will fit or if i need a new one if i do need a new one what size do i need or how do i figure it out?
    EDIT: Thanks AndrwSwitch, I guess I was wrong (been awhile since I played with square taper, just assumed they were the same).
    Last edited by tpm7; 06-10-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Square tapers came in a couple of different widths.

This would be a good time to get your shop to help you. If you have too narrow a bottom bracket for your new crank, you'll have clearance problems between the chain rings and chainstay. If it's too wide, your chainline will be a bit funky, but it may not matter. You may also have problems getting your front derailleur to shift up to the largest ring.

A new bottom bracket should cost $15-$30. So if you do need to replace yours, it's not so bad.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your current bb size may be printed on the bb if you remove it. Otherwise, you can measure it. There are two measurements. The first is the bb shell length. Turn your bike upside down and measure across the bb shell. It's either 68mm or 73mm.

The second number is the spindle length. With the crank arm off, measure the length of the spindle. If you don't have a large caliper, you can use two squares or two levels and a ruler.

The square deore requires a 108 to 113mm spindle for a 47.5 to 50mm chainline. Longer or shorter will likely be outside the front derailleur's range of operation. You could use up to 123mm, but you will loose the use of the big ring over 113. Some people don't use the big ring.

T.W.O
    If your chain is worn down and you haven't replaced it, it will wear down the other new parts on your drivetrain faster. You can either get a chain measurement tool or have the bike shop do it... .75 would be preventative maintenance; 1.0 would run the risk of a catastrophic chain failure
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Yeah but you can get a deore crank with external bearings. If you don't have the tools to change it go to the shop its a 5min job.