1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

shimano chain...what tools?

Hi, I have a shimano chain and was curious what tools I would need in case it were to break...I believe I could put it together shorter and keep it on med. to lower gears...just curious on what tool would be needed...thanks..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    To start with, you would need a chain tool. For a quick fix, you could use a SRAM quick link, powerlink, or whatever the thing is called. for a permanent fix you would need a special replacement (shimano specific) chain pin, and likely a new link if you messed that up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You'll need a chain tool and some replacement shimano pins.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, I do have a chain tool. I wanted to know if I needed something in addition to get out of the woods if my chain breaks. Sounds like I need to pick up some pins. It was explained to me I could do it all with a chain tool, but it did not sound right. Thanks for the help...Ben

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    other brands of chain would not require anything except a chain tool. as far as i know, only shimano uses disposable pins.

mtbr member
    I have pulled old pins out of the middle of broken links and used them successfully when in a pinch. I wouldn't recommend it for long term use though. The "pulled" pins aren't constructed the same as the replacement pins and it can weaken the link you put them into. If you are running an 8 speed chain, just get an SRAM quick link and keep it in your bag. I know form experience that an 8 speed quick link WILL fit a shimano 8 speed chain perfectly. I have been told that a 9 speed quick link WILL NOT work on a 9 speed shimano chain, though. I don't have experience on the 9 speed issue though. When I changed gearing I stated using SRAM chains only. Good riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen9761
    I have been told that a 9 speed quick link WILL NOT work on a 9 speed shimano chain, though. I don't have experience on the 9 speed issue though. When I changed gearing I stated using SRAM chains only. Good riding.
    I was told the same thing by a shop who sells Shimano, and then another shop that sells SRAM told me it would work. I tend to trust the opinion of the second shop more, so I went ahead and tried it. Haven't had any problems.

Ride the dream
    Generally its better to stick to what they advertise they can do though - the SRAM links dont claim to fit shimano chains...

The KMC "magiclink" does claim to fit shimano, sram and ofcourse their own.

Personally, I wont go back to sram or shimano chains now, its KMC all the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Al
    I was told the same thing by a shop who sells Shimano, and then another shop that sells SRAM told me it would work. I tend to trust the opinion of the second shop more, so I went ahead and tried it. Haven't had any problems.
    I run SRAM Powerlinks on several Shimano chains. They work just fine. I've not had any trouble at all with 'em.

I do keep some spare, Shimano pins around, sort of as a "just in case" measure, but I've installed either 8- or 9-speed Powerlinks on all my families bikes now.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen9761
    I have been told that a 9 speed quick link WILL NOT work on a 9 speed shimano chain, though. I don't have experience on the 9 speed issue though. When I changed gearing I stated using SRAM chains only. Good riding.

wrong .... I have been running LX, XT and XTR 9 speed chains with sram powerlinks (the gold 9 speed ones) for years now... they work great!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I run SRAM Powerlinks on several Shimano chains. They work just fine. I've not had any trouble at all with 'em.

I do keep some spare, Shimano pins around, sort of as a "just in case" measure, but I've installed either 8- or 9-speed Powerlinks on all my families bikes now.
    ditto!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    Generally its better to stick to what they advertise they can do though - the SRAM links dont claim to fit shimano chains...

The KMC "magiclink" does claim to fit shimano, sram and ofcourse their own.

Personally, I wont go back to sram or shimano chains now, its KMC all the way
    So how is it that the KMC link will fit all brands, whereas the SRAM link (which is likely almost the same as the KMC) will only work with SRAM chains? I think SRAM just wants you to buy their chains. I'm mean, how different can you make two standard-sized metal plates that are held together by two standard-sized pins?

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Al
    So how is it that the KMC link will fit all brands, whereas the SRAM link (which is likely almost the same as the KMC) will only work with SRAM chains? I think SRAM just wants you to buy their chains. I'm mean, how different can you make two standard-sized metal plates that are held together by two standard-sized pins?
    I know what you mean, and I suspect thats the reasoning behind SRAM not claiming theirs fits all kinds of chain.

I'll not go back to SRAM or Shimano chains though - the KMC ones seem to last so much longer (for me) at the same pricepoints - so I see no reason to switch away from them.

For many people, having the packet say it will work is just as important as the fact that it will....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I looked this up recently, but may get it mixed up. Look it up yourself to see which one is different. Either the 8 or 9 speed sram chain is 1/64" narrower in width than the KMC and Shimano. The other size is the same width (8 or 9). That's the reason the KMC link will work with either.

edit - It's the 8 speed chains that are different widths.
    Last edited by rlouder; 06-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    I looked this up recently, but may get it mixed up. Look it up yourself to see which one is different. Either the 8 or 9 speed sram chain is 1/64" narrower in width than the KMC and Shimano. The other size is the same width (8 or 9). That's the reason the KMC link will work with either.

edit - It's the 8 speed chains that are different widths.
    here is what I found:

9 speed
    KMC 6.6mm
    SRAM 6.9mm
    Shimano 6.6mm

8 speed
    KMC 7.1mm
    SRAM 7.1mm
    Shimano 7.4mm

this is really unrelated to the OP's question, rlouder just made me curious to find out what differences there are. these might not be right, though, because i pulled them from various sources

EDR
    just to reiterate....both 9sp and 8spd shimano chains are completely compatible with sram powerlinks. I have been using the 9sp powerlink on xtr chains for over 2 years. So have thousands of others.