1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Shimano chain question

Hey folks Noob here, I'm building my first bike and have a question on what 10 speed chain I should buy for my set up. I will be running a XT 2x10 crankset with a XT 771 cassette. Can I run a dura ace 7901 or 7801??chain with this set up or just go with a another type? Also if i go with a Shinamo chain I heard not to use the pin from Shimno but a KMC or Sram powerlink? Any feed back would be great.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The chains you listed are for road bikes and while they would work on a mtb I would not recommend them. I've been riding mtb's for over 6 years and have always used the higher end Shimano mtb chains such as the CN-HG94 or CN-M980. They usually last between 2 - 2.5 years for me and never rust due to their being zinc-alloy plated.

As for quick links go with the KMC Missing Link as it is much easier to remove than the SRAM powerlink. The SRAM powerlink is supposed to be one-time use only but can be removed although it is difficult. You can get a KMC Missing Link 6 pack on Amazon for around $12.00. They work great on both SRAM and Shimano 10 speed chains.

mtbr member
    soccerdude, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will try the hg94 one out and see how it goes.

no trees are safe
    I believe that shimano uses the same chains for both road and MTB drivetrains. TBH I've used Shimano, and SRAM chains and I can't say I noticed any major differences between them. SRAM chains did require a more precise derailleur tune up but once done they shifted equally well, plus you had the SRAM powerlink added so no extra expenses. Another alternative could be KMC chains which also have their equivalent of powelink. When choosing between these I'd go for the one with the best price/performance ratio.

The Original Suspect

banned
    Sep 2012
    I use the KMC X10 ... got the gold TiN coated ones to match my bike. It comes with a KMC missing link included.

Amazon.com: KMC X10SL 10 Speed 116 Links Chain (Gold): Sports & Outdoors

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-16-2012 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    I would definitely recommend the removable link regardless of chain brand. The Sram power link has served well for years, but the big thing is maintenance is far easier.