1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Shimano Altus + Schwalbe Big Apple 28x2.35 on Trek X-Caliber is a nogo?

Hello.
    I have Trek X-Caliber 7 bike and I wanted to switch bit more tarmac friendly tyres on it, Schwalbe Big Apple 28x2.35.
    X-Caliber 7 - Trek Bicycle

Front derailleur is Shimano Altus. Problem is that BA is grinding on Altus especially middle and smallest chain ring. On biggest ring there is no problem. Here is a few pictures.

On biggest chain ring

and smallest chain ring

Front derailleur is top swing. I have looked another derailleur that could be little different (compact) mechanism.
    Product
    Do I need to change front derailleur (to SLX?) or what I can do to fit those lovely tyres? I tried to lower front derailleur, but it didnīt help.
    And sorry for misspelling, I think you can understand

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hmm.. Well, you can being it to an lbs and see if they have any laying around that you can try to see if it'll fit. But moving the derailleur up or down is not a good idea it has to be at a certain height. Or hit it with a hammer a whole bunch lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Clearance is probably the reason that the bike came with a 2.20" front tire and 2.0" rear tire.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd probably just use a smaller rear tire. Post the year and wheel size so if someone is wondering about clearance and hasn't bought yet, maybe you save them the trouble.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've read that SRAM front derailleurs have better tire clearance. Also an E-type derailleur would probably provide more tire clearance. Not sure how easy it would be to fit.

29ers Forever
    If you want a "tarmac friendly" tire, you had a good choice by going slick, but you never go wider. You should have found a 2.0 tire or something like that.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Clearance is probably the reason that the bike came with a 2.20" front tire and 2.0" rear tire.
    Maybe yes. I must change tyres back to Bontager and see how small tire clearance is.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I'd probably just use a smaller rear tire. Post the year and wheel size so if someone is wondering about clearance and hasn't bought yet, maybe you save them the trouble.
    But I wanted to fat tires, just the looks of it Trek X-Caliber 7 is 2014 model and I think those Big Apple 28x2.35 tires are also from this year. Or at least I bought them week a go from bike-components.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I've read that SRAM front derailleurs have better tire clearance. Also an E-type derailleur would probably provide more tire clearance. Not sure how easy it would be to fit.
    I must check those. But because Iīm noob in bike tech, could I use SRAM front derailleur and Shimano SLX M662 SGS in rear (yes I have stock Acera at the moment in rear, but it got slightly damaged by tree branch).

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If you want a "tarmac friendly" tire, you had a good choice by going slick, but you never go wider. You should have found a 2.0 tire or something like that.
    I have also Kenda Khan 28x1.9 if I remember those dimensions right. Those are quite nice, but I just wanted fatter tires just for looks
    I have also noticed that there is only minor difference in time when going to work (13km/8.07miles) when tires are Bontager XR1 or Kenda Khan. Itīs only slightly heavier to pedal with Bontager. But Kendaīs are much comfort, because there is no need to higher pressure comparing Bontager. I wonder that is BA 28x2.0 diameter smaller than BA 28x2.35?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pressure and volume are pretty linked.

If you're willing to buy a new front derailleur in order to keep your fat tire, yeah, SRAM 9-speed or fewer should drop right in. You still need to match swing, cable pull, and clamp size.

Another thing to look at is if you can switch to a bottom swing front derailleur. They have better clearance and I could swear they tolerate dirt better. Look for bottle cage mounts or a change in seat tube diameter to interfere with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Pressure and volume are pretty linked.

If you're willing to buy a new front derailleur in order to keep your fat tire, yeah, SRAM 9-speed or fewer should drop right in. You still need to match swing, cable pull, and clamp size.

Another thing to look at is if you can switch to a bottom swing front derailleur. They have better clearance and I could swear they tolerate dirt better. Look for bottle cage mounts or a change in seat tube diameter to interfere with that.
    Yes, I was thinking about upgrade Shimano Altus at the same time. Even tough there is nothing wrong in Altus, it has worked great.

I have not seen in a long time bottom swing FD. Itīs weird that it could have better tire clearance.
    I have looked few FD, what you think about these?

Shimano SLX M661
    Product
    Shimano SLX M660
    Product
    SRAM X9 9 speed low clamp front mech
    SRAM X9 9 Speed Low Clamp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles
    SRAM X9 speed high clamp front mech
    SRAM X9 9 Speed High Clamp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Trek has 34,9mm tube diameter and cable comes from top.
    Itīs a shame that there is enough pictures about FDīs. Especially how big is the mechanism near the tire.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like Shimano's front derailleurs better. I think they "get it" more.

Look at some pics of bottom swing/high clamp FDs. I think it'll be pretty apparent to you why you might get better clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Drop into your LBS and take a look at other MTBs, see what design give the best clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would be surprised to find a front derailleur that would clear a 2.3" Big Apple. I have a Surly Ogre with those tires and a Shimano Deore FD-M616 top pull derailleur and I had to use Monkey Nuts to push my wheel back in the dropouts to clear the tire. But your frame doesn't have horizontal dropouts. Maybe sell the rear tire and get a 2.0" Big Apple?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Trek 29er hardtails are good for that. Biggest I have been able to fit is a 2.2 but it wasnt terribly high volume, Kenda Karma. It was pretty close though with the knobs.

Front FD change may work but your clearance is already horrible so not sure if the change will be enough.

I get you like the look but if bike isnt built for it, only thing you can do is go smaller unless you want to start messing with new parts that may or may work. Good luck hope you get it sorted.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes I realize that it could be risky to buy FD, because you canīt be sure that it will leave enough clearance. I might sell rear tire and buy 2.0" wide. Or sell both and buy new set of 2.0"īs. I have to think about what to do next. In meantime I will ride Kenda Khan tires my commute trips.
    Thank you all for the answers. Iīm really grateful!

Fat-tired Roadie
    You probably don't have to back off all the way to a 2.0. This is a mountain bike and 2.1 was standard for ages. If you can test fit next time (big "if," I know,) that would really let you know.

Or be a total fashion victim and go 1x.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, 2.0" Big Apple is going to be bigger than a usual 2.0.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I did go the easy way for this problem. I bought new set of BA 28x2.15 tires. I found some dimensions of these tires from here Balloonbikes - technology and I measured my other tires and compared them to BA 28x2.35. My Kenda Khan 1.9 tires has almost same diameter as BA 28x2.15 so there is now same amount of space.

Next is BA test run