1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Shimano 7 speed shifter on 6 speed?

I'm going to preempt any "it's not even worth fixing, get a better bike" with I am currently in Afghanistan and while I have several nice hardtails at home all I have here is an old mountain bike that has Shimano tourney parts. The rear shifter is broken and I'm trying to find replacement parts. I was able to find the exact parts from a third party seller on amazon Amazon.com: Shimano Shifters SL-TX30 Tourney 3x7 Pair: Sports & Outdoors
    but I am interested in seeing if I can actually upgrade to a better trigger shifter.

The rear derailleur is a Shimano Tourney with a six speed cassette and it appears to allow for indexed shifting. Can I use a different shifter such as a 7 speed? They seem reasonable and easy to find and would actually prefer them.

I know this is kind of a weird post but I've gotta make do with what I have over here.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
    If only Sikorsky made bikes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You would need to either add a 7 speed cassette or use 7 speed spacers on the current 6 speed cassette.
    Are you sure it's a cassette? Many 6 speeds are freewheel. The derailleur should work fine.
    Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    You would need to either add a 7 speed cassette or use 7 speed spacers on the current 6 speed cassette.
    Are you sure it's a cassette? Many 6 speeds are freewheel. The derailleur should work fine.
    Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs
    Thanks for the help. I guess I'll just try to get a six speed shifter. This bike really isn't worth spending much money on and it looks like I would need to buy new gearing, chain and the shifter.
    If only Sikorsky made bikes...

Picture Unrelated
    You could always try a friction shifter, they're usually pretty cheap. Or go visit your local bike shops and see what they have in their take-off bin. If they have an old 6 speed around, they would probably sell it cheap.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What kind of shifter is currently on the bike? I've made 8s shifters work with a 7s freewheel before. A 6s shifter would be ideal, but the 7s you linked could work for you if that's all you can get. You would just have one dead click on the shifter where you would click from 7 to 6 and nothing would happen.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    What kind of shifter is currently on the bike? I've made 8s shifters work with a 7s freewheel before. A 6s shifter would be ideal, but the 7s you linked could work for you if that's all you can get. You would just have one dead click on the shifter where you would click from 7 to 6 and nothing would happen.
    The spacing for 7 and 8 speed is the same which is why you can use an 8 spd shifter with a 7 speed cassette (but you don't get a "dead" click because you adjust your limits, right?). The spacing for 6 speed is different to 7/8 speed and, while I haven't done it, I would suspect that it will not work well. I suppose if you're happy enough with a few gears in the middle working and not being able to shift into the extreme ranges, it might be serviceable though. Here's a chart: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    The spacing for 7 and 8 speed is the same which is why you can use an 8 spd shifter with a 7 speed cassette (but you don't get a "dead" click because you adjust your limits, right?). The spacing for 6 speed is different to 7/8 speed and, while I haven't done it, I would suspect that it will not work well. I suppose if you're happy enough with a few gears in the middle working and not being able to shift into the extreme ranges, it might be serviceable though. Here's a chart: Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet
    Yeah good point on that. It slipped my mind to think about the spacing being different between 6 and 7s. If the 7s shifters are all the OP has access to, it might be worth at least trying. 6s or even friction would be the best way to go.